Renewal

The small group gathered around the lifeless body, their cloaks ruffling were the only sound accompanied by the dark silence of the universe.

Then, one broke the silence, the youngling who was the first to meet this creature that now lay dead in front of them. His purpose, like the others around him, were to guard the sacred Stone and deliver it to the Guardian. The Guardian was dying, and she was the only thing that kept their small planet alive. Every one hundred years, a ritual is performed to restore her strength and her people would give her the power she needs and then she gives it back to them by eminating her power to keep the planet lush and habitable.

A stone was searched for for several years and it was believe that it could give the Guardian power longer than a century, and it was this youngling's duty to return it safely back to her. It was also a test of his loyalty to his home planet. The youngling knew he was responsible for the stone being stolen right before his very own eyes. There were many other stones hidden in the universe, but it would still take decades to just find one. It took almost fifty years to find this one.

The youngling's cowardice was the fault of many things. Although many of his superiors regret taking him alongside them, they agree punishment should go to the perpetrator who commited the theft.

"What shall we do, Master?" The youngling said, his voice quivering. "She's dead."

"Way to state the obvious." Someone said and everyone snickered.

The youngling blushed but continued. "I meant what will we do with her body? Why have we taken her? We already know she had the crystal. Let's just take it from her and leave her somewhere. She's bleeding everywhere."

The Master, the eldest of the group, stared thoughtfully at the girl who lay on their boat, now bloody from her seeping wound on her chest. He waved a hand and seemed to tug at the coat of the girl. The stone glowed strongly through the dark and thick fabric. It flew out of the pocket and into the elder's palm. He closed his fist over the jagged rock and thought for a moment.

"We will do no such thing. Living bodies are not disrespected in this way, not matter what. We are all related by our Creator who created each and every one of us uniquely and we must respect each other."

Everyone solemnly looked downcast. Their belief was that in the beginning, a single creature was born from thr darkness of the universe and in itself was a light which it used to create more beings like itself. They call them the Old Ones before their species evolved and adapted to new environments in the universe. The Guardian was one of the last of the Old Ones who discovered a science called alchemy. There was a long legend of how she sacrificed herself to give strength to her people. And in gratitude, her people worshipped her by sharing their power with her.

The youngling thought about the Master's words for a moment. Then bluntly, he said, "But...she is dead. Will we punish her, you mean?"

Some people groaned quietly and shifted in their positions. The Master was unfazed and answered the youngling's statement.

"Yes, she is. But when you're old and experienced as I, you will sense an aura in someone--a strength--living or dead. This girl may be dead, but I can sense she is still strong, and capable of living again if we wanted her to. As for punishment, yes, we will punish her." The Master's brow creased as he remembered the horrendous number of deaths his people suffered. Only thirty people were in their group on the ship and now there were only seven.

The first explosion on their ship crippled several on that side, but it was the second explosion that did a great number. People scrambled to the remaining lifeboats--only ten were left and each could fill about a certain amount of people. Those who's lifeboat was nearer to the explosion, died as the fire consumed them. The rest managed to escape with bruises and cut limbs, but their preternatural bodies healed them in seconds.