Reminiscing

Song: Piece by Piece by Henri (Kelly Clarkson cover)

Sleeping felt like a chore you did not want to do. Despite your migraine and aching chest from falliing from the chair -and the vision that nearly killed you- all you wanted to do was discover more about who you are.

You have come to realize you must have a death wish.

You sat up and crept out of bed, careful not to disturb Stygian as he slept soundly at the foot of your bed, and took out the library book from under your bed. You sat on the edge of your bed and opened to a page all about Captain Flint. As you suspected, the six eyed pirate resembled the silhouetted creature in your vision.

But what did it mean?

You watched the hologram of the legends and stories made about him, listening to every detail mentioned and being meticulous of the visuals. You don't know how long you've been watching -hours? You've gone through story through story and even listened to the intro about him a dozen times, but nothing triggered something in your brain.

There were probably more stories left to be see, but you grew tired and decided to take a break. You shut the book and left it on your bed and decided to get something to drink. Your head was still aching, but very faintly, it felt like your heartbeat was right behind your head. You lit up a candle with some matches found in the drawer and curled your finger over the candle holder and shut the door gently behind you as you left. You momentarily stared at Jim's door before quietly descending the stairs to the kitchen.

The entire inn was dark, the window blinds were closed and therefore produced no light. But you could faintly see the big round stove that held dozens of meals in the center of the room.

Out of pure instinct, you slowly swung the kitchen door open, and in the dark, you noticed a figure and a candle lit by the stove. .

"Sarah?" you called once you recognized the form.

Sarah gasped and swirled around, placing her hands over her chest in surprise. "Oh! My, you scared me."

You went in the kitchen. "Sorry. I didn't mean to. What are you doing?"

She glanced back at the stove. "Just making some tea. You want some?"

"Actually, that's kind of why I came. I'd love some, thank you."

She smiled. "It's ginger, if you don't mind." She pulled out a small container of the tea from the cupboards above her and set it down beside her candle. "I have had a big headache that's been with me all evening. Hurts more now that I think about it."

You brought over a chair and lay your candle on the table where meals and various utensils used were placed upon. You sat down and said, "I don't mind. I have a headache too. Hit my head hard when I fell from my chair earlier."

The kettle whistled and Sarah began to pour boiling water into two tea cups. "Is that what that noise was? I wanted to go see what it was, but I was preoccupied with the customers."

Sarah came over and set down a tray with two teacups, a small jar of sugar and a miniature pitcher of milk in the middle of the table. You took your cup and mixed in some sugar, milk and took a small sip. Sarah pulled a chair and sat across from you and silently prepared her tea and sipped. After a small silence, she set down her cup and grinned at you.

"I know you've only been here one day but, I just wanted to say that you've been a real big help around here. Things couldn't be much more easier."

You smiled. "Well, I'm happy to be here." You shrugged. "I don't know where I'd be if you hadn't let me in. I'm really grateful." You frowned as you tried to think of the possibilities. But with your little treasure box, you could easily have bought a house and provided for yourself for at least a few months. You took another sip of your drink and felt the pulsating ache in your head dissipate.