Affection

~♡~

You and Stygian barged into the inn, causing Sarah, who was cleaning up to jump, almost dropping the tray of dirty dishes in her arms.

"Oh, it's just you," Sarah said in relief. "It got so dark, and you haven't gotten back in time that I was about to ask Jim to go and find you. I was worried."

You smiled reassuringly and lifted up your shopping bag. "Just visiting shops and stuff. They've got nice stuff here. By the way, is Jim in his room?"

Sarah picked up one last dish into the tray and commenced walking to the kitchen. "Yes, he is." She narrowed her eyes in suspicion and a small, sly smile crept to her lips. "Why do you ask?"

"Uh, no reason. Just wanted to know he didn't run away or something,: you said nervously.

Sarah stretched her lips onto a tired smile and pushed the door open with her hips.

"Sarah?" You called. She paused midentry to look at you.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for letting me stay. I am grateful, really."

That brought on a wide smile to her lips, and she looked younger again, like in the hologram when she was dancing in her wedding dress with Leland. It made you stomach bubble with joy.

"You are most welcome, dear. And thank you for helping me. And Jim."

Sarah entered the kitchen and disappeared from sight before you could grasp her meaning of that last sentence.

You shared a glance with Stygian, and bounded up the stairs, your boots making loud thumps as you took two steps at a time.

As you grasped the post at the top of the stairs and rounded the corner to the hall, Stygian was too slow and failed to turn and crashed onto the wall above a window.

When you reached Jim's door, you rapped your fingers continuously for a few seconds. Then you heard a clink inside, following a loud thump and a grunt. The door then swung open hastily.

"Jim," you said as soon as his face appeared in the door. His hair was slightly disheveled, his sky blue eyes were wide in alert. Behind him, you could see a lamp on beside a small working table against the wall to the left with small tools and metal pieces. "Good. You're not asleep. I need your help."

He took a moment to furrow his brows

"Wa-wait, what? What happened?"

When you tried to explain, you suddenly realized how out of breath you were from sprinting to the inn and up the stairs. You began to feel dizzy and your vision blackened and you took uneven breaths as you nearly fell forward.

"Woah!" Jim grabbed your shoulders to support you. You were surprised at how strong he actually was. "You okay, Read? You look like you ran a mile." Jim helped straighten you up.

You let out a breathy laugh as you leaned against his doorframe. "I think I...kinda did."

"Here, uh, come inside and take a seat." Jim gently wrapped an arm around your shoulder and led you to the chair you assume he pushed back abruptly, fell down, and got back up to answer the door. Jim let you go for a moment to scoot the chair closer to the desk and flipped it to face the bed almost.

He then sat you down on the chair and closed his door and reappeared again to sit on his bed.

You sighed and closed your eyes briefly as you felt your heartbeat calm down and your head clear up.

You heard the flap of Stygian's wings and then silence in front of you where Jim currently was. You opened your eyes again and there they were.

Jim's eyebrows were slightly raised and his eyes looked upon you in wonderment. Like the way a child would look when they see their favorite hero or heroine.