Tension Rising

"Alex, I'm going to the store. I'll be back soon!" Eliza called out, but heard no answer.

"Alex?" She set down her purse and walked to her husband's office, the go-to-spot for checking on him. Sure enough, he was in there. The door was opened ajar, enabling Eliza to see him sitting in front of his desk.

"For the last time Madison, I don't care what you think of my ideas!Washington approved them and that's all that matters."

Alex sounded agitated and was literally on the edge of his seat. There were moments of silence before he stood up and slammed his desk, startling Eliza.

"It doesn't take one man to bring down an entire nation, goddammit! Don't think you can rely on him to save your a** in court. Bye."

He groaned frustrated and that's when Eliza took her cue to come in. "Had a stressful week, huh."

Alex's intense gaze softened as he looked at her. "Sorry you had to heard that. I've been hearing a bunch of crap from Madison ever since the news came out."

"You mean the news about Thomas Jefferson coming home." Eliza guessed.

Alex sighed and rubbed his eyes. Recently, he had been letting his hair down more often. Eliza didn't know if it was because he was too busy to put it up or if he couldn't bother to do it. Either way, she liked the new look. It made him look more rugged and laidback.

One thing that hadn't changed was his eyes. His dark eyes filled with pain. It was the same sadness she saw in his eyes ever since Laurens' death. She knew he could never move on from that. The death of his best friend had scarred him and probably forever will. She wished she could help him, but she didn't think anyone could.

She put her hand to his cheek comfortingly. "If there was anyone who could deal with all of this, it'd be you. I know you can handle it."

Alex smiled slightly. "Thank you dear. It's really encouraging to be with you every day."

"That's why you married me." She joked. "Anyways, I'm going to run some errands at the store. Do you want to come with?"

He shook his head. "I have lots of work to do at home."

Eliza felt a pang if disappointment, but she immediately felt guilty for feeling that way. She knew he was busy with Jefferson and everything else that was going on. But she couldn't help think he was too busy to do anything anymore. He was too busy even for her...

She put on a smile. "That's probably for the best; you can watch Philip that way."

"Yeah, take your time sweetie. Relax a little. Philip and I will have fun together." He kissed her. "See you soon."

Eliza grinned lovingly at him and her worries went away. Everything will be fine after the dust settled.

She took the subway since she didn't feel like driving or walking. After buying the essentials, she started heading home when she passed a familiar cafe...

It's the same cafe where I first saw Alex!

Eliza instantly felt a wave of nostalgia. The tall brick building resembled many other buildings in downtown New York. The windows were shaded so she couldn't really see the inside. Except for a few Coke bottles lying in front of the windows, it looked identical to that night. She walked in.

Another wave hit her as she saw the same table where she and her sisters had sat on their rebellious evening. She ordered an iced coffee and sat down.

The first time she'd locked eyes with her husband was here. She'd remembered how silly he and his friends had looked as they drunkenly lumbered in barely able to order a few bottles of water. Then quick as a mouse, he winked at her. And everything had blossomed from that.

She spent a few more minutes reminiscing, the left the cafe. She stood at a stoplight, waiting to cross. She looked across the street and saw someone else waiting. It was a lean, black woman with dreadlocks wearing a baggy parka. Eliza immediately recognized her.

"Theodosia! It's been so long—" Before she could continue, Theodosia walked past her, avoiding eye contact.

What was that about? Eliza thought, looking backwards. She must have heard me. Could she possibly be avoiding me?

But why would she do that? Had Eliza done something wrong? Or perhaps.. she was hiding from her. Hiding something important.

*Thank y'all for reading! I'm sorry this took so long, but I'm honestly wondering whether or not I should continue this fanfic. I've lost most of my motivation and I'm not really into Hamilton anymore. I'll let you guys know once I decide. Thank you as always <3