Suddenly I'm Helpless

Eliza has never been one to steal the spotlight for herself. She usually hid in the shadows and watched everyone else socialize and would only sometimes engage in a conversation. But today was different. And it was all because of him.

The moment he walked in, Eliza's heart fluttered and all she could focus on was him. She watched as he smiled and laughed with that Aaron Burr. Oh she loved the way his dark chocolate eyes lit up when he smiled! She knew that she had to talk to him somehow.

Eliza slipped between bundles of people with many "excuse me"s and "sorry!"s. Even though there were so many people here, possibly more than ever before, she never let that boy out of her sight.

She bumped into another person. "Oh sorry miss!"

"Eliza?" It was Angelica. "You're so busy that you don't even recognize your sister?"

Eliza smiled sheepishly. "Sorry! I'm trying to catch up with him." She pointed over to where he was standing. He was talking to the same guys at the cafe. He seemed to have no interest to talk to any girls, much to Eliza's disappointment.

Angelica had a look of shock on her face for a few moments but then smiled. "Remember that I love you Eliza."

"Huh? Why did you say-"

Angelica didn't let her finish. She started walking to the east end of the room... right where he was standing!

"Angelica!" Eliza called. "What are you doing?!" Angelica made no indication that she heard Eliza. Instead, she walked faster towards him.

"Angelica!" Eliza shouted desperately.

What is she going to do? Eliza watched as Angelica hooked her arm into the his arm and Eliza almost face palmed herself. I should never have told her! She's too much of a flirt to resist him!Then suddenly, the boy was in front of her with those deep, sparkling eyes and Eliza was helpless.

She couldn't move. Her face was completely flushed and it wasn't until Angelica nudged her that she said, "Elizabeth Schuyler. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Schuyler?" He turned to Angelica, scratching his head.

"My sister." Angelica responded with a grin.

"Oh I see." He said. "Alexander Hamilton, at your service miss." Eliza giggled at this and her face got even more red.

"Thank you for all of your service. Th-that is in the military and as George Washington's personal aide." Eliza stuttered. She still couldn't believe she was talking to the Alexander Hamilton. The smartest and bravest man she'd ever met. And he was incredibly hot.

"If it takes fighting a war for us to meet, it will have been worth it." He bent down and kissed Eliza's hand, which wasn't a good thing for her already beating heart.

"I'll leave you to it!" Angelica said as she left the two alone with nothing else to do than to dance the night away.

Meanwhile...

Peggy sat in a table by herself watching all of the couples, young and old, dancing and laughing. While she was sitting here holding a cup of water, since she was not even old enough to drink.

She looked around at the huge ballroom and had to give it to her sisters for setting it up. The tablecloths which they'd embroidered for hours were placed on every table, matching with the curtains on the tall, glass windows. The grand chandelier in the middle of the ballroom was so big and bright that it lit up the whole room with a warm, yellow light. The snack bar and drink bar were a big success. She noticed Eliza talking with the infamous Hamilton and she sighed. Everyone here seemed to be satisfied at the ball. Well, except for Peggy.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?" A man's voice asked. Peggy looked up to see one of Hamilton's friends from the cafe. She should've said no but she was so desperate for conversation that she said yes.

He took the seat next to her and said, "John Laurens."

"Margarita Schuyler," Peggy said. "but please call me Peggy."

He looked surprised that he was talking to a Schuyler. "Oh, so this ball is meant for you?"

Peggy smiled. "Technically yes, but everyone knows its more for my older sisters. I'm the youngest so I don't really need to talk to men yet."

"Then what do you take me for? John asked with a goofy grin on his face . "A silly freckled monkey?"

Peggy laughed. "Of course not. I'm actually rather surprised you came to talk to me. You seemed quite happy talking to your friends."

Her face went red with embarrassment. "I mean... not that I've been watching you or anything!"

John laughed, but didn't say anything, much to Peggy's appreciation. "Yes, my friends are very interesting people, but I wanted to meet a nice woman like yourself."

Peggy blushed slightly and replied, "That's very kind of you to say, John Laurens, but don't you wish to socialize with some other women? Maybe someone pretty and intelligent?"

"Now why would I do that?" John smiled. "The perfect example of that description is right in front of me."

Peggy blushed more. This John Laurens was very likable, and though she hated to admit it, very attractive as well.

"Well then Mr. Laurens," Peggy smiled. "you'll have to prove yourself to me. Try to keep up!"

Before he could ask what she meant, she raced down the hall with her perhaps new crush following her close behind.