A New Friend Part 2

*THANK YOU ALL FOR 500+ READS!!!!

Eliza poured her homemade green tea into two teacups and set the kettle down on the table. She had always been a tea person unlike her two sisters, so she hoped her guest would like it. Then, she set down two bowls filled with chicken stew.

She took a small sip from her bowl and smiled. It was perfect. Possibly the best stew she'd ever made. As she arranged the chairs and silverware, she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Is that your infamous chicken stew I smell?" Alex asked. "What's the occasion?"

Eliza turned to look at him and nodded. "I've invited a guest. She should be coming any time now."

"She? Who's she?" Alex asked. 

"Uh..." Eliza shuffled her feet. She didn't know if she should tell him the truth or not. What would he say? But then again, she knew lying was wrong and she would feel incredibly guilty of she lied to him. Before she could decide what to say, the doorbell rang.

Eliza cleared her throat. "You're about to find out." She walked over to the front door and opened it.

Theodosia smiled sweetly at her. "Hi! Am I too early?"

"No no, you're right on time." Eliza assured her. She was about to let her in, when she saw who was standing next to her guest.

Alexander walked over to the door and visibly scowled. "Well, if it isn't Aaron Burr."

Burr looked back at Alex with equal hate. "Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton. You have a lovely home. I just came to drop off my wife, so I'll be going now."

Mrs. Burr grabbed her husband's arm. "C'mon Aaron. Don't you at least want to stay for a little bit?"

"No, I have things to do." He replied.

"What things?" Theodosia asked slyly. "Read about politics? Talk to other politicians? Read about politicians talking about politics? I think those things can wait, can't they?"

Aaron huffed unhappily. "Fine. I'll stay."

Alex looked amused. "I better get back to my office."

Now it was Eliza's turn to hold her husband back. "Not so fast Alexander. You should stick around a while too."

He whined like a five-year-old would when it was time to take a bath. "But darling, I have a lot of papers to write, emails to catch up on-"

"I have more chicken stew." She coaxed.

Alex hesitated, then finally gave up. "Alright. I'm only doing it for the chicken stew though."

Eliza and Theodosia shared satisfied looks. They made a pretty good team.

~

After a quick tour of the house and a few passive aggressive conversations between Alex and Aaron, they sat down at the dinner table.

"Thank you for inviting me Eliza." Theodosia said. "I really needed a nice break from... well, life!"

Eliza laughed. "Oh I know how that feels. Being a mother really makes you wish you could take a train out of your problems once in a while."

"Yes, and not to mention how young you are." Aaron remarked.

Eliza blushed. "That's true. I just turned 21 last fall, but I'm glad it happened when it did. We love our son with all our hearts."