Turtle Love

"Eliza is so adorable." Peggy commented to Angelica. "I've never seen her run that fast!"

"She's been looking forward to seeing him all week." Angelica laughed to herself. "It's almost like a week is equivalent to a year for her!"

"They're slowly becoming my number one OTP! Look at what I sent you on Instagram!" Peggy said.

"Oh my gosh Peggy," Angelica gasped as she checked direct messages. "Another picture of Eliza's letters? How do you even get a picture of those?"

"I have my ways!" Peggy said mysteriously.

Angelica sighed. "Well thank God that our parents are out of town this week. I need to relax from all this drama with Eliza and Alex."

Angelica plopped on the couch and turned on the tv. Peggy was going to join in but suddenly there was a notification from her phone.

She glanced at it, expecting another email from Walmart asking her to do some online shopping, but it was a text message.

J. Laurens: Hi Peggy! 👋 Wanna do a Skype call?

Peggy couldn't believe her eyes. John Laurens wanted to do a Skype call now? After a full week of no communication at all? Nevertheless, she quickly opened up her phone and texted him back.

Me: sure! 🤗

J. Laurens: cool 🐢

Peggy clicked on the Skype app on her phone and waited for him to accept the request. After a few seconds, John's familiar freckled face popped up on her screen.

She couldn't help but to grin widely. "Hi!!!" She said. "Omg I'm sorry, I'm not used to doing Skype chats with people I barely know."

He laughed. "Same." He seemed so different from last time. He was wearing a white t-shirt and his hair was loosely tied up, allowing strands of curly brown hair to fall over his face. He seemed more normal if possible, and that somehow made him look more attractive.

"Where are you right now?" She asked.

"Oh, I'm in Alex's apartment." He replied. "Lafayette is here and... oh you probably don't know who I'm talking about right?"

"Nope." Peggy laughed.

"Ok, I'll show you Pegs! Can I call you that?"

"Sure why not?" Peggy couldn't stop smiling. He was so freaking adorable!

"Great! Here comes America's favorite fighting Frenchman!" Laurens shouted enthusiastically.

"Quelle? Did I hear someone call my name?" A distant voice asked. Another face came up on the screen and he was very different from John. His skin tone was a few shades darker than Peggy's and he had frizzy black hair tied into a ponytail.

"Ohh bonjour ma dame!" He greeted with a heavy French accent. "Do I recognize your face from somewhere?"

"Yeah she's one of the sisters at the ball!" Laurens told him.

"Oui, Mon ami she is! Can I just tell you Miss Schuyler, that you and your sisters are such unique beauties?" He said.

Peggy laughed. "Thank you! It's Peggy by the way."

"Her full name is Margarita." Laurens told his friend. "But she prefers to be called Peggy." She was surprised he remembered that little fact. She was also a little flattered.

"Well, Mr. Lafayette, I must ask. Do you speak French because you don't know English well or do you speak it to confuse people?" Peggy asked.

The tall man laughed. "Ah you've found my secret ma dame. It is absolutely hilarious to see people get that confused look on their faces."

"And by people," Laurens cut in. "He means me." Lafayette chuckled and gave his friend a noogie, much to Laurens' annoyance.

"Hey where is Alex anyways?" Laurens asked.

"You don't know?" Lafayette said in disbelief. "He went on a date with his girlfriend. Where were you when he left?"

"I don't know... it's not like I was looking at turtle memes or anything." Laurens said, looking slightly embarrassed.

"You like memes too?!" Peggy said. "I love memes!" At first, there was an awkward silence and she started to wonder if she was being weird. But then, Laurens smiled widely and started laughing.

"Hey look at this Pegs," he said. Peggy looked at her phone and found this:

Peggy laughed and after a few seconds she sent him one back:

Laurens burst out laughing and Peggy did too. Soon enough they were both laughing hysterically while Lafayette gave them a puzzled look.

"Memes? What on earth are you two talking about?" He asked.

"Oh come one Laf!" Laurens said. "Aren't you in turtle awe of these memes?"

Peggy was laughing so hard that her eyes were tearing up. "Well I am having a shell of a time looking at these!"

Lafayette shook his head and started walking away. "I think you two will be inseparable. And that is not a good thing."

They continued talking until almost a whole hour had passed. John was so different from every other guy she's met. He was kind, funny, and he had a deep love of turtles and puns. It was the most fun Peggy had had in a while.

"Peggy!" Aneglica's voice called from downstairs. "Eliza's arrived from her date! Looks like she needs some ice to cool her down."

Peggy's heart sank but she knew she had to hang up. "Sorry John, I gotta go. But it was really fun talking to you! No guy has ever just wanted to talk to me just to... uh talk to me. Oh gosh I make no sense sometimes." She laughed nervously.

"Don't say that, I make no sense all the time." Peggy smiled at this. "It was really fun talking to you too. You seem like the chill Schuyler sister."

Peggy giggled. "Nah, none of us are chill in this family. Well compared to my mom... then yes, I am the chill one."

Laurens chuckled. "I better go too. Laf left a long time ago so I should probably leave before Alex comes back wondering while I'm still at his place."

"Yeah, so uh talk to you later? Or we could just text." Peggy said.

"Of course. See ya later Pegs." He said, giving her one last smile before hanging up.

*Yay it's done! I have exams this week so I didn't have much time to write but it's here now:D Also I read this head cannon of Laurens and Peggy sending each other memes and it was so cute that I had to put it in here! Turtles are great btw XD