The Greatest City in the World

Eliza turned the corner on 42 street and posted the last flyer on a pole. She sighed in relief and saw a small puff of air emit from her mouth.
It's starting to get really cold. Eliza shivered. I better go back home soon if I want to keep all my fingers. So she started heading back the way she came.

New York is always busy. Even in the bitter, unforgiving winter, there were always cars flooding the streets and pedestrians walking to and fro place to place. Most people hate the constant noise, but Eliza was a true New Yorker. She's lived here her whole life and she couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The greatest city in the world.

About twenty minutes later, she arrived at the Schuyler estate and knocked on the front door. The person to open it was none other than one of Eliza's favorite sisters.

"Peggy!"

"Eliza!" Her younger sister chirped eagerly. "Come in quickly. It's like 10 degrees outside!" Eliza happily obliged. She hanged her coat on the coat rack and hugged her sister.

"Woah there, what's with all the hugging?" Peggy laughed.

"Ugh, you have no idea how boring this day has been for me!" Eliza said, releasing her sister. She then realized that she had gotten snow all over her Peggy's t-shirt.

"Oh I'm so sorry! I got your shirt so wet!" Eliza attempted to rub her sister's shirt with her sleeve, but Peggy swatted her hand away.

"Hey you don't need to baby me!" The youngest Schuyler sister complained. "Besides, it isn't even that cute."

"Isn't that the shirt Stephen bought you for your birthday?" Eliza asked.

Peggy blushed. "Yes, but I picked it out by myself and he paid for it. Which was completely unnecessary by the way."

Eliza giggled. "Ooh looks like Peggy's got a secret admirer!"

"Oh shut up."

"Why? I'm just so proud of my beautiful little sister." Eliza said.

Peggy rolled her eyes. "I'm only one year younger than you. Anyways, do you know when Angelica will be getting back?"

It had been six months since they last saw their eldest sister and they both missed her dearly. Of course, they often texted and talked on Skype, but life was so dull without having their spunky, sass machine around.

"Mother said she'll be released for winter break in a few days." Eliza told her. "Sooner than you think, the Schuyler sisters will be complete again!"

"Yes!" Peggy chirped. The two sisters laughed and chatted together until the night fell.

The next morning...

Eliza woke to the sound of screaming. She bolted out of her bed and winced at the feeling of her feet touching the freezing floor. However, she quickly flew out of her room and down the stairs.

"Peggy? Mom? What's happening?" Eliza shouted. As she walked into the living room, she was greeted with something she did not expect.

"ELIZA!!!" A figure jumped out on her and hugged her so tightly, Eliza could hardly breathe.

"Angelica?!" Eliza strained to get that name out. "You're back!"

"Yes! I wanted to surprise you both!" Angelica released Eliza from the hug. She screamed in delight and saw Peggy in the corner of her eye grinning widely.

"What are you doing back so early? Mother said you wouldn't be back until Saturday!" Eliza exclaimed.

Angelica smiled. "I wanted to meet you girls again so much that I persuaded my dean to let me leave a few days early with an invite to the Winter's Ball."

Peggy gasped. "But can you do that? Don't you have exams or something?"

Angelica shrugged. "Nah I already took those a week ago. Think I aced them, but I'm probably just being hot-headed."

"Well, what should we do now?" Eliza asked curiously.

Angelica's eyes sparkled and Eliza recognized that as a sign of mischief.

"It's the first day we're all together in person! And what are we gonna do, you ask? Let's go shopping!" Angelica pumped a fist in the air and the others did the same.

"Shopping? I'm assuming means you girls will be out for a while?" A man's voice said. Eliza turned to see their father, General Philip Schuyler in his pajamas. His short hair was still messy but he looked alert as ever. He must've woken up before Angelica came home.

Angelica walked over to him and gave her father a kiss on the cheek. "I've missed you Pa! How's things been with the military."

Philip Schuyler smiled at his eldest daughter. "Nothing unusual. Though I fear I'm starting to get gray."

"Oh don't say that father! You're the sharpest man in New York at your age." Angelica said.

"Ok you got me." He laughed. "Remember don't be home any later than sundown. And downtown is not an option." He warned.

"Got it!" Angelica said.

"Yes, father!" Eliza nodded.

"Yup!" Peggy pipped.

With that being said, the three sisters got dressed and headed out into the city.