What'd We Miss?

"C'mon Angelica! Let's go!" Peggy urged her older sister as she sat in the passenger's seat.

"Alright alright. I'm starting the car." Angelica said. In a few seconds, the engines started and she veered into the street.

"I'm taking a bet here, but I think it's safe to say that you're excited to see Alex and Eliza's new house." Angelica said.

Peggy's eyes sparkled. "I'm so excited to see their dog!"

Angelica rolled her eyes. "It's always the dogs for you."

"Well, its also been a whole year since we've seen either of them." Peggy added.

"True that!" Angelica laughed to herself. "It's like now that they're married, they think they're better than us or something."

"That's not true!" Peggy objected. "It's just that now they live together and they rely on each other now."

Angelica smiled. "I know Pegs. I'm just messing with ya. But I agree with you; I'm excited too."

With a far-away look, she added, "It's been too long."

They didn't talk much for the rest of the car ride, and eventually Angelica pulled into the Hamiltons' driveway. It was a medium sized house with an antique black fence surrounding it. As Peggy walked in, she admired all the beautiful flowers scattered across the front yard.

"Eliza's handiwork I bet." Angelica commented.

Peggy nodded. Eliza had taken after their mother's love for gardening and loved taking care of all types of plants. Peggy on the other hand, couldn't even keep a cactus from dying of thirst.

Angelica knocked on the door and the sisters waited in silent anticipation. After a few moments, the door opened.

"Angelica! Peggy!" Eliza exclaimed.

"Elizaaaa!!" Angelica and Peggy screamed. The sisters hugged for a long time, overjoyed to be with each other again. They were interrupted by a loud barking from inside.

"DOG!!!!" Peggy screamed as she ran inside the house.

It was a small brown and white dog with bright blue eyes. He ran up to Peggy and, despite its small size, almost knocked her over. She giggled as it licked her face multiple times.

"It's so cuuuuuuute!!" Peggy said.

"His name is Boris." Eliza said, delighted to see her sister so happy. "Alex and I bought him when he was just a pup and he's grown so much already!"

"I love him." Peggy said surefooted.

"Yes he is adorable." Angelica smiled. "Speaking of Alexander, where is he?"

Eliza's eyes turned sad. "He went back into service two months ago."

Angelica gave her a surprised look. "Already? Do you get lonely?"

Eliza's eyes looked sad. "Sometimes, but I have Boris. He's a lot of work to say the least."

"Why did he go back?" Peggy asked. "It's not that important, I'm sure the General would've let him stay with his wife."

"Oh but you have no idea how passionate he is!" Eliza said. "He talks nonstop about wanting to lead a troop of his own one day. I knew he had to follow what his heart was telling him to do. Even if that means I won't see him in a while."

"I'm sorry sis." Angelica said. "I had no idea you were alone all this time."

"No no it's fine!" Eliza assured her. "I've been keeping busy. I make sure the house is tidy and I also work a part time job as a barista in Starbucks."

"Anyways, I'm so happy that you two are here!" Eliza said. "I'll show you around the house, though there's not much." After a ten minute tour of the living room, kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms, Eliza led her sisters into the backyard.

"This is the backyard." Eliza said. "I wanted to put some outdoor furniture out here, but our budget's kinda tight."

"Yeah," Angelica gave her a look. "That barista job must be really doing you much."

Eliza sighed. "Girls, trust me. I know it doesn't seem like everything is working well for me but it is. We're starting from the bottom but we'll get to the top soon. It'll get better."

Angelica and Peggy exchanged looks. Eliza was trying to tell her sisters that she was fine, but it almost seemed like she was trying to convince herself.

"Well why don't we go back inside and talk more." Peggy said. "It's getting kinda hot." They all agreed and retreated to the air conditioned room and surprisingly comfortable chairs.

"Ok so what have you two been up to recently?" Eliza asked.

Angelica started first. "I joined a women's rights group and we started charities to support women who are less fortunate in finances, illnesses, disabilities, and that kind of stuff." Her eyes shined with pride. "My friend Meg even started branching all the way in Florida! I think it's going really well."

"That's awesome! And what about you Pegs?" Eliza turned her attention to the youngest sister.

She shrugged. "Eh, nothin much. I'm done with the first semester of college so now I just browse the Internet and stay home mostly."

"I see... So I assume you still chat with Laurens often?" Eliza asked.

Peggy's face turned red. "W-What?! No-I mean yes we do! But we haven't talked much since he went into service. Guess there's not much wifi in the Middle East. Besides, it's not anything special. You talk to him too!" She said embarrassed.

"Yes I do occasionally." Eliza said. "But that's only because he's friends with Alex. Didn't you meet Laurens before you met Alex?"

Peggy tried to think of a clever thing to say but couldn't. She also couldn't shake off the weird feeling Eliza was giving off with her mischievous grin.

"Ok, I was just curious."

Angelica had to stifle her laugh. Then she turned toward Eliza seriously.

"I think we had enough of this. We've all caught up now right? Now spill the beans little sister."

"What? You mean me?" Eliza asked surprised.

Peggy raised an eyebrow at her, not shocked at all by Angelica's abruptness. "Yeah. You've been tense the whole time we've been here. Care to share?"

Eliza didn't speak for a few moments and finally she gave in. "Ok, you two know me better than I thought. I've just been hiding it because I didn't know how to tell you!"

"Tell us what?" Peggy asked feeling impatient.

Suddenly, Eliza stood up from her chair and removed her oversized jacket.   It wasn't noticeable at first, but once she looked carefully, Peggy saw it. She gasped.

"Are you-!"

"Yes." Eliza smiled shyly as she revealed the news.

"I'm pregnant."