Letting Go

"This is the place, right?"

Angelica peered out the car window and nodded to the driver. As she was about to step out of the car, she felt an hand grab her arm.

"Don't take too long." The man said sternly.

She pulled her arm away fiercely. "I'll take as long as I like. This is my family after all, Church!"

John Church, her new husband, was an average-looking man with an average personality. His blond, short-cropped hair was gelled and he always wore an expensive polyester suit. He didn't express much emotion so his hurt expression almost made her feel bad for him. "I wish you could get used to calling me by my first name. We're married after all."

Yeah married. Angelica thought bitterly. As if signing a contract is anything close to marriage. But I know he's trying his best, so I might as well not treat him like dirt...at least most of the time.

She sighed. "Ok, I'm sorry....John. I just want to visit my sister and her husband before-"

John nodded. "I understand. Go."

She stepped out of the black BMW and knocked on the front door. As she waited, she twiddled her thumbs unintentionally. She had never been this anxious before...

"Angelica!" Eliza's sweet face greeted her. Angelica smiled. Seeing her beloved sister again almost made her feel better. "What brings the pleasure of your visit?"

"I need to tell you something....something important. It's not great news, but I can't delay it anymore." Angelica saw the look of worry on Eliza's face.

She knows me so well to realize when I'm nervous. I still have to go through with it though....

"Oh ok..." Eliza said. "I'll call Peggy to come to the living room where you can tell us the news."

"Peggy?" Angelica raised an eyebrow. "Why is she still here?"

"Nice to see you to sis." A new voice popped up from behind Eliza. It was Peggy, but she looked terrible. Her hair was a mess; it was sticking up in places and Angelica could tell she hadn't washed it for days. Her clothes were wrinkled and she had deep bags under her puffy, crusted eyes.   

"Margarita Schuyler!" Angelica exclaimed appalled. "You look absolutely wretched!"

Peggy looked up at her without any interest. "I've been staying with Alex and Eliza ever since we heard of Laurens'-"

The pain on Peggy's face was so powerful, it moved Angelica very much. "Oh...I'm sorry Pegs. I didn't know you were so hurt."

"Yeah, you wouldn't have known." Peggy's tone was hostile now. "Where were you these past two weeks anyway? Right after Eliza got that letter, you disappeared without saying a word about where you were going!"

Angelica was expecting these kind of questions, but actually hearing it from Peggy, especially in such an angry tone, was shocking to her. "I was going to explain it all, but it appears you're too impatient to even wait that long! Honestly Pegs, I know what happened was terrible but I expected more from you!"

"That is enough!" Eliza stepped between her two sisters, her arm outstretched. "You two are quibbling like children! I will not stand to see my sisters fight like this in my house! Peggy, you will stop behaving immaturely and accusing things of Angelica, who is an adult and makes her own decisions. And Angelica, I don't care if you're my sister; you are a guest in my house and you won't treat Peggy like that before you've even stepped inside!"

Angelic and Peggy were both speechless from Eliza's stern chastising.

"I'm sorry Angelica." Peggy sounded genuinely remorseful. "I shouldn't have yelled at you before you could explain yourself properly."

"I'm also sorry. I should've understood that you're grieving and I didn't take that seriously." Angelica apologized back.

Eliza looked satisfied. "Boy, you must be pretty good at disciplining your kid." Angelica smirked.

"Oh trust me," Peggy chuckled slightly. "You do not want to see what she did to Philip when he broke her plates."

"Oh shut up!" Eliza said, but amusement danced in her eyes. "I'm just very maternal that's all. Come in, Angelica. Tell us this mysterious news."

~~~

"Oh but do you have to?" Eliza cried.

Angelica felt her eyes get misty. "Yes. He's the CEO of this big company in England, and we've got to move there before tomorrow."

"But what about your life here?" Peggy asked desperately. "You've always lived in New York! You can't leave your home!"

"Don't worry about that. I'll be surrounded by lots of pubs and cute British guys. I'll get used to it. But I know I'll always be a New Yorker by heart." She promised.

"Angelica..." Peggy sobbed. "I don't know what we're going to do without you! You're the one we've always went to for advice and support!  

"I'm barely supporting Philip and myself!" Eliza added. "What if I'm not strong enough?"

"You are strong enough. Both of you." Angelica hugged her sisters. All three of them had tears streaming down their faces. "I've watched you both grow up into strong, beautiful, independent women. I would not leave you two if I wasn't sure you could take care of yourself."

"Still..." Peggy sniffled. "We're going to miss you."

"Same here. But I promise to visit you guys as much as I can. Whenever I can."

The girls were so enraptured that they didn't even notice the sound of keys unlocking the door.

"Eliza, I'm home!" Alex said not really paying attention. "I know it's early, but I didn't have a lot of work today so-"

He then realized the three girls huddled on the floor, embracing each other tightly.

"Oh um... Hi Angelica." He waved at her awkwardly. "Popping in for a visit?"

Angelica stood up, wiping her eyes with her sleeve as she did so. "Actually, I don't have much time left, but I think I can explain it all to you quickly."

Alex looked at Eliza and Peggy puzzled and they both just gestured for him to follow Angelica. He put down his bag and followed Angelica outside into the backyard.

The backyard was just as beautiful as the front lawn. Flowers of all colors scattered the field of green and the sun shined warmly on Angelica's body. She looked out to see distant shapes of tall skyscrapers and noises of traffic. Others may find it annoying and intimidating, but for Angelica.... it was home.

And she was about to leave it.

"So..." Alex stood next to her, his arms leaning against the fence. "What's up?"

Angelica smiled and wiped her eyes again. "I'm flying to London today."

His eyes widened. "W-Why?"

"I'm being accompanied by someone who always pays." Angelica said. "I have found a wealthy husband who will keep me in comfort for all my days."

"You...married John Church?" Alex's eyes were sad. "I thought you didn't want to marry anyone just for their money."

Angelica felt her heart lurch. You used to be penniless as can be and I would've been willing to marry you...

"It had to be done." She spat, not knowing why this was harder to reveal to him than her sisters. "You wouldn't understand."

"Yes I do." Alex put his hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "You don't have to do this, even if you think it'll help your family. You should be with who you want."

But I can't be with who I want! Angelica wanted to scream with every fiber of her being.

"It's too late anyway. I'll admit, he is not a lot of fun, but..." She let herself look into those deep, beautiful eyes, that almost seemed to speak to her every time. "There's no one who could match you for turn of phrase."

She felt a small tear run down her cheek as she finally realized the true reason why she agreed to marry John Church. Not for his money. Not for the status. She was letting herself go. She was letting her deepest, darkest, and most secret feeling leave her. After all this time, over a year of being conflicted from these feelings, she was letting go. She hadn't known why she did it when she signed the contract, or even when she spoke to her sisters just five minutes ago, but now it was clear as day. She may be wedding the wrong man, but it gave her the chance to finally accepting the truth that she would never be able to be with Alexander. It was possibly the hardest, yet the most freeing decision she'd made.

"Angelica...." Alex gave her the saddest face she'd ever seen. He was obviously hurt to see his friend leave so suddenly, but that was the thing. He would always see Angelica that way.

A friend, and nothing more.

She shushed him, because she heard a honk from her husband's car. "Don't forget to write." Was all she told him.

"I will. Always." He smiled at her. What Angelica didn't know was that she would not see that smile again for several years....