A New Friend

June 21, 2013. Eliza couldn't believe how much Philip had grown. The curly-haired infant was now just over six months old, and smiling endearingly at his mother. Eliza smiled back at him as she buttoned up his green jacket.

"Alright Philip, now that you're all buttoned up, we can head to the park!" She was about to pick him up when she heard a knock on the door.

"Do you know who that is?" She asked Philip, who only looked at her blankly.

She opened the door to reveal none other than her younger sister Peggy. "There you are Pegs! We were about to leave without you!"

"I'm so sorry!" Peggy said. "There was a lot of traffic. I think some kid on a bike got run over..."

"Oh my goodness! Are they ok?" Eliza gasped.

"No idea, because that was a lie to cover up for me being late," Peggy smirked. "You are so gullible sometimes."

Eliza let out a sigh of relief. "You're right, but don't play with me like that again! Anyways, if you're ready, we are. Let me just put Philip in his stroller."

"Oh let me!" Peggy begged. She barged into her sister's house and gently picked her nephew off the floor. "Guess what Philip? Your favorite aunt is going to spend the whole day with her favorite nephew!" She blew a raspberry on his cheek, making Philip giggle. He pounded his fist on her shoulder to make her stop.

Eliza chuckled to herself and pulled out the stroller for Peggy to put him in. Once they were all ready, the three of them headed out.

Eliza breathed in the clear summer air in Fort Tryon Park. Leaves were starting to grow in and the grass was the brightest green she'd ever seen. Peggy also gazed at the astounding beauty of nature while Philip enjoyed drinking out of a sippy cup.

"Remember I came here with Alexander about three years ago, when we had just gotten together?" Eliza asked her sister.

"Oh, do I!" Peggy laughed. "You ran out of the house so fast, I thought there was another war happening!"

"Well, to my defense, I hadn't seen him in a long time." Eliza said.

"A week. You hadn't seen him in a week." Peggy coughed.

"He was my first boyfriend." Eliza argued.

"You were clingy." Peggy said.

"Oh shut up!" Eliza said in mock anger. "It was love at first sight."

"More like delusional at first sight." Peggy said. They both laughed hysterically as they became more and more nostalgic from recalling old memories.

"Oh, it's so great to hang out with my little sister again." Eliza wiped a tear from her eye. "Everything's so different than it used to be. I'm a mother, Angelica's living the life in London, and you're a drama major in college!"

"Yeah. Things have changed. Sometimes, I think about the times we got into all sorts of trouble." Peggy added. She then looked into the distance and nudged Eliza. "Speaking of trouble..."

Eliza looked ahead of them and saw two figures walking towards them. As they got closer, she could see their features better. They were a man and a woman. The woman had chocolate-colored skin, dashing green eyes, and long dreadlocks. The man was also dark-skinned, tall, and his hair was cut close to his scalp.

Something about them seemed familiar... then it hit her.

"It's Aaron Burr!" Eliza exclaimed.

The couple stared at them in surprise and Eliza felt her cheeks get hot. She didn't mean for them to hear that.