Unexpected Feelings

*HOLY CRAP GUYS! THIS STORY JUST GOT 550 READS AND NOW ITS 650?! I'm so honored and thankful. Anyways, hope you enjoy this chapter!

Peggy was on her way to the campus library. She had told Stephen that she would tutor him in Spanish. Back then it seemed like a good idea. Now, she was starting to regret her decision.

I may be decent in Spanish, Peggy thought, but I've never tutored anyone before! How am I going to do this?

She groaned as she thought of the awkwardness that would result in the next hour. Nevertheless, she had made a promise to her friend and she couldn't break it

Once she arrived in the library, she was astounded by how big it was. There were also quite a few students around too. Great. More people to watch her humiliation.

She spotted Stephen quickly. His brown hair was ruffled like usual and he wore a red plaid shirt that fit him nicely. He was so busy looking at his textbook, that he didn't notice Peggy sit down next to him.

"You really like that book huh?" Peggy commented, prodding him with her elbow to get his attention.

Stephen looked at her with desperation. "Not at all! I don't get anything in this new chapter! Who is Aron and what does he have to do with Spanish?!"

Peggy snorted. "First of all, aron is a preterite form, not a person. Second, didn't you pay attention in class when we went over this?"

Stephen looked sheepish. "Well, there's a-uh... thing I do when I'm confused or not focused... and that thing is uh.... sleep."

Peggy snorted and shook her head. "Aw Stephen, you're pretty funny! You should be in stand-up."

"Me, doing comedy?" Stephen laughed. "Unless pity laughter counts, I don't think so."

"Ah, maybe you're right." Peggy said. "For now, let's just start with the tutoring."

An hour or so went by, and to Peggy's surprise, it wasn't as bad as she expected. At first, she had a hard time explaining the concepts, but she soon got the hang of it. Stephen was also catching on pretty quickly. The session was turning out to be a success.

Once they were done, they both started packing up their bags to get back to their dorms.

"Thanks for doing this by the way." Stephen told her, smiling gratefully. "I know you were uncomfortable."

Peggy was taken aback. Did she make it that obvious? "No no! I mean I was at first, but I don't feel that way now. It's nice being the one teaching instead of being taught."

"Oh... is that what your sisters did to you? Make you feel inferior?" Stephen asked.

Peggy didn't expect him to say that. She blinked a few times and felt herself struggling to find an answer.

"S-sorry!" Stephen's eyes grew wide. "I didn't mean to make you upset..."

"No you're fine." Peggy assured him. "To answer your question... yes they did. A few years ago, I was very resentful being in my sisters' shadows. But things are different now. Angelica is in London, Eliza has a son, and I'm a college student. So many changes happened all at once, I forced myself to grow up."

Peggy caught Stephen's gaze and cleared her throat. "Sorry, I didn't mean to tell you my life story. I hate when people do that."

"I'm glad you did." Stephen said. "It shows that you trust me enough to tell me that."

Peggy thought about that. I guess I do trust Stephen more now. I don't think I've even told Laurens about that.

"Yeah, I do." She said. "We should get back to our dorms. I have lots of homework to catch up on."

"Of course... so I'll see you at lunch tomorrow?" Stephen asked.

"You bet." She replied. Then, she reached up to Stephen's face and kissed him on the cheek. It was quick, but she saw him stiffen and she felt slightly flustered too.

"Um bye!" She grabbed her backpack and dashed out of the library. She ran all the way to her dorm and slammed the door behind her. Her heart was rushing and she panting from all the running. Once she felt calmer, she said aloud:

"What just happened?"