Life as a Schuyler

It is late October of 2010. The winter is starting to creep its way into the year and the cold had already settled in. Elizabeth Schuyler, or as she preferred to be called Eliza, tucked her hands in her coat pockets to keep herself from shivering. She was a beautiful nineteen year-old girl with long, raven black hair and defined cheekbones. She wasn't a very materialistic girl, despite her family's fortune so she wore a normal light blue blouse with skinny jeans and a brown fluffy coat on top. It had been almost a year since she graduated from high school and she was bored out of her mind. Both of her sisters were busy and although she had other siblings, eight to be exact, she secretly favored her two sisters over her brothers.

Of course, she had looked into a few colleges, but her parents insisted that it wasn't necessary for her to attend. They were rich after all. What was the point in education when you're rich? She had argued with them for several months about this until the three of them came to a compromise that Eliza would attend college when she was twenty years of age.

Eliza sighed. She wished her parents weren't so old-fashioned. She was an independent woman in American society. She had every right to get a college degree like her older sister, Angelica. Her sister was a couple of years older than her and had the cleverness and wits of any scholar. She had coffee-bean colored skin and black frizzy curls. She almost always had a smirk plastered onto her face, as if she were thinking of a clever idea to get her way. Eliza had wondered if that caused her parents to let Angelica go to college.

Eliza looked at her phone again. The time read 3:15. Finally. Her younger sister Peggy, who was 18 years old, would be coming home from school soon and she wouldn't be as bored. Peggy always had interesting stories of school, specifically ones about boys. Now Peggy, despite being the youngest and the smallest of the sisters, perhaps was the most beautiful. Her caramel colored and flawless skin shone brightly even in the dark of night. Her dark brown curls fell perfectly across her small shoulders. Eliza had always been jealous of her younger sister but never bitter about it. In fact, she was very proud to have such beautiful, strong sisters.

I wonder how much longer I'll be stuck in this boring, predictable life... Just as Eliza had thought this, she heard the doorbell from the front door. She opened it to find not a person, but a box at the door. She picked it up and walked back in the mansion, closing the door as she did.

She set the box on the table and cut it open with a pocket knife. The first thing she saw was an envelope, containing what she assumed was a letter. She set it aside and found another box filled with flyers. Eliza groaned. They were for the Winter's Ball her parents threw in their mansion every year. It was known as the most prestigious and grandest dance in America. However, for the three sisters, it meant being stressed out and working nonstop to set up the decorations.

"Eliza, are those the flyers?" A female voice asked from upstairs.

"Yes, mother. They look even fancier than the last stack." Eliza joked.

"Oh hush now." Her mother walked down the stairs and met Eliza in the kitchen table. Her mother, despite being around fifty years old and having given birth to eleven children, was a stunning woman. She had dark locks like most of her children and a thin, sharp face. The only thing that could distract anyone from her beauty was her intimidating blue eyes. You never wanted to make her upset or those eyes would dig into your skin like a bullet.

Mrs. Schuyler picked up a flyer. "Oh these are very nice! I think I like this version the best. Eliza, dear, can you please post these flyers around the city?"

Eliza groaned inwardly. "All by myself?"

"It's not that hard of a job! I would have our maids do it, but wouldn't people pay more attention to them if they saw a beautiful girl like you hanging them up?" Eliza wasn't taken by her compliment. Her mother was only flattering her to get her own way.

"Fine. I'll do it." Eliza said.

"Good good. You were always the obedient one in the family." Mrs. Schuyler smiled. "Now, get to work!"

Eliza waited until her mother walked out of the room and sighed. This was not going to be fun. Hanging up a thousand flyers in the winter of New York City was almost torture. Nevertheless, Eliza was a Schuyler, and no matter how much she disliked it, this was her life as a Schuyler.

*So that was fun! Even though probably only a few people will read this, I hope you enjoyed it and will continue reading along :D