The Story of Tonight

*THANKS FOR 200+ READS!!! Also, since there was no war against Britain in modern times, I'm replacing the Revolution with the War on Terror. Look it up if you need to, I literally found out about it today. And enjoy that animatic from Scribs i luv it so much.

It was the week after the wedding. The newlyweds, with a loan from Mr. and Mrs. Schuyler, bought a small house in Harlem, NY. They had finally finished moving in all their boxes and their new home was finally beginning to feel like... home.

Alex was hanging out with his friends at the bar. He was hesitant at first, but Eliza insisted. She argued that he deserved a treat after the hard week of moving.

"Besides," Eliza had said with a small twinkle in her eye. "I think I'm getting a little sick of seeing you every day."

"No you don't silly." Alex had said jokingly, and proceeded to meet up with his friends.

Now, the gang had had a few rounds of drinks and it was safe to say that they were all very drunk.

"I may not live to see our glory!" Laurens said raising his glass in the air.

"I may not live to see our glorryyyy!" Laf and Herc repeated, or sang rather. This would've bothered Alex a lot more if he didn't already have four drinks.

"But I've see wonders great and small!" Laurens continued, swaying back and forth a bit.

"I've seen wonders great and small!"

"But if the tomcat can get married," Laurens winked at Alex.

"If Alexander can get married!" Lafayette hugged Alex tightly while Hercules gave him a big noogie, which Alex didn't like very much.

"There's hope for our a** after all!" Laurens shouted loud enough for everyone to give the group weird stares.

"Raise a glass to freedom!" Lafayette did so with his glass.

"Hey!" Laurens and Hercules shouted cheerfully. "Something you will never see again!"

Hercules put his hand on Alex's shoulder. "No matter what she tells you..."

"Let's have another round toniiiiighhht!!" Lafayette interrupted, taking a quick shot of his drink.

Alex laughed. It's been a while since he got to hang out with his closest friends like this with all of their schedules.

"Raise a glass to the four of us!" Laurens continued, just as drunk as ever.

"Ho!" Alex shouted along with Lafayette.

"To the newly not poor of us!" Hercules cheered.

"We'll tell the story of tonight!"  

"Let's have another round!" Hercules finished off. Then the four of them sat back down and clinked their glasses.

Laurens smiled goofily. "I'm gonna get the bartender."

"No we shouldn't John." Alex said. "I can't be too drunk when I get home to Eliza!"

"Ohoho!" Lafayette laughed. "I see how it is."

"See what?" Alex asked with a frown.

"You don't want to do anything you might regret." Lafayette smiled as if he cheekily. "Maybe you're afraid to make a fool out of yourself in front of Miss Eliza."

"Yeah~ like gettin' a bit too cozy with your wifey, huh?" Hercules said leaning towards Alex.

"Shut up you two." Alex said, feeling uneasiness stir in his stomach. Or perhaps that was just the alcohol kicking in.

"Aha! Now I know!" Lafayette said. "You still haven't done it with her yet right?"

Hercules chuckled. "What's wrong Hammy? Too scared? Maybe he's never had-"

"Ok guys that's enough." Laurens said. "And you better listen because I'm older than both of you."

Alex smiled at him. "Thank you Laurens."

"No prob Bob." He responded.

"I'm not Bob, I'm Alex."

Laurens laughed. "Gotcha again!"

"Did you three invite me just to toy with me or something?" Alex asked half annoyed, half joking.

Just then, there was a ding from the door, signifying another person coming into the bar. Alex glanced over to see who it was and almost made a double take.

"Well, if it isn't Aaron Burr!" He stood up to greet his old friend.

Burr walked over to their table and greeted Alex warmly. "Sir! I came to your wedding last week."

Alex was surprised. "I didn't that that you could make it."

"Actually, my plans changed last minute." He said. "Unfortunately, I couldn't stay for long, so I left before the reception."

"BURR!" Alex's friends said as if they just noticed him standing there.

"I came to say congratulations-"
Burr started.

"Spit a verse Burr!" Hercules interrupted, making a reference less than a year ago when all five of the men were in this exact same bar.

Burr looked less enthusiastic to see them. "I see the whole gang is here..."

"You are the worst Burr." Lafayette said coolly.

"I know." Burr scoffed. "You told me that in the group chat."

Alex could tell his friend was getting annoyed, so he tried to change the subject. "Ignore them, congrats to you Lieutenant Colonel! I wish I had your command instead of manning George's journal."

Burr shook his head in disbelief. "No you don't!"

"Yes I do!" Alex argued.

"Now be sensible." Burr told him. "From what I hear, you've made yourself indispensable."

Laurens stood up and elbowed him in the side. "Well! Well I've heard, you've got a special someone on the side Burr~"

Laf and Herc giggled like school girls. "Oooooooh!"

Alex was also surprised. "Is that so?"

"What are you tryin' to hide Burr~" Laurens teased. Burr squirmed awkwardly away from him and was blushing immensely.

"I should go." Burr said, but Alex blocked his path.

"No! These guys should go." He gestured to the others. They groaned and complained, but Alex still pushed them out of the door.

"Leave us alone!" He said as he closed the door behind them.

"You didn't have to do that, Alexander." Burr said. "I was only going to stay for a little bit anyway."

"It's alright Burr, though I wish you'd brought this girl with you at my wedding." Alex said.

"You're very kind but I'm afraid it's unlawful sir." Burr admitted.

"What do you mean?" He asked imploringly.

"She's married."

"...I see."

"She's married to an Islamic officer."

Alex's eyes widened. They were both part of the international military campaign in the War On Terror. It started after those horrific terrorist attacks in 2001 and had been going on ever since.

It was clear that Aaron was going through a lot right now. But all Alex could manage to say was, "Oh sh*t."

"Congrats again Alexander." Burr said. "Smile more. I'll see you on the other side of the war."

"I will never understand you." Alex said in disbelief.

"What?" Burr stopped in his tracks.

"If you love this woman, go get her." Alex told him encouragingly.

"That's easy for you to say," he chuckled. "You just got married."

"That just means I have been successful with my love life. I couldn't have done it without trying. What are you waiting for?" Alex asked.

Burr thought for a moment. Alex wondered if he might actually take his advice. To his disappointment he just replied with, "I'll see you on the other side of the war."

"I'll see you on the other side of the war." Alex repeated back to him. He then followed his friend out the door and made his way home.