I Already Have

The sound of a car engine starting filled the silent household. Peggy listened until the little buzz disappeared.

It hadn't even been five minutes when Angelica left, and the same sentence was repeating through her brain like a broken record:

Why is she still here?

Peggy felt something within her, something that was edging her on. She had felt this for quite a while actually, but now she understood what it meant. What she was meant to do.

She stood up to find her sister, who was sitting next to Alex in the backyard. She took a few steps toward them and said in a clear voice:

"I'm going back to college."

They turned their heads back at her and stared.

"What?" Eliza was stunned.

"I'm going back to college." Peggy repeated again. "Second year starts in three months and I want to be prepared for it."

"That's great Pegs!" Alex said. "Believe me, it might be painful now, but in a few years it'll be worth it."

Eliza still gave her a speculating look. "Are you sure? If you need to take time to grieve then you should."

"Yes I am." Peggy answered, feeling sure of it.

"It's just... it's okay for you to take some time off. Many people when they grieve, it's normal for them not to go back to their studies for months." Eliza told her.

"Why are you trying to get her to change her mind?" Alex asked his wife incredulously.

"I'm not, but I think Peggy might not realize what she's going into." Eliza said in a serious tone. "I know both of you are still depressed about John's death; we all are. I don't think she should rush into something she's not ready for."

"Thanks for your concern Eliza," Peggy said, "but I've made up my mind. I was pretty depressed about what happened. And I still am. But that doesn't mean I should sit on my butt and cry about it forever. I know John. He wouldn't want me to do that."

Silence.

Peggy watched as Alex clutched the end of his shirt and looked down misty-eyed. Eliza looked at him sympathetically and rubbed his arm.

"I'm sorry. I just don't want to waste my life before it's even started." Peggy said.

"I'm happy for you. I can tell you really want to do this and being very responsible." Eliza said, pride in her eyes.

"Guess I'm finally growing up." Peggy smiled.

"Took ya long enough." Alex scoffed.

Eliza laughed and Peggy smacked him playfully on the head. "Hey watch it with your smart remarks young man!"

"I'm a year older than you-" Alex started.

"Whatever. I'll be get a degree in... oh! theatre and stop you from watching any good shows on Broadway!" Peggy put her hands on her hips.

"Oh noooo!" Alex laughed. "So what, I'll be stuck watching illegal bootlegs on the internet?"

"Yep! Only off-Broadway shows for you mister!" Peggy added. "Seriously though, thanks for supporting me guys. I promise the next time you see me, I'll be carrying a frame with my degree!"

"You go girl!" Eliza said after she hugged her.

Alex hugged her too. "Laurens would be so proud of you."

Peggy grinned. She'd never felt closer to her brother-in-law than ever. "Same to you. First I've got to say goodbye to little Philip first."

She walked up the stairs and walked into the light blue painted room with small toys scattered across the floor. She picked up a turtle rattle and gave it to Philip, who was sitting in the corner, watching her with big curious eyes.

"My favorite nephew! Well technically you're my only nephew, but still...." Peggy chuckled, "I'm gonna leave now, and though you don't understand a thing I'm saying, I'm gonna miss ya bud."

"Musyaa boo?" Philip gurgled and Peggy laughed.

"That's the reaction I thought I was gonna get. Well, your auntie is going to school and she's gonna work really hard to make a good life for herself." She kissed him on his small cheek and said, "I'll make you proud, I promise."

She stood up to leave when she heard a voice that sent chills up her spine:

"You already have."

She turned around sharply, but saw no one but Philip and herself in the room. She looked down at the him. "Did-did you just...." but she stopped herself.
No it couldn't be him. He's only a toddler. Besides, that voice sounded a lot like....

"No it can't be." She said out loud and continued to walk out. However, she couldn't help but feel as if she was missed something very important. Something that would haunt her thoughts for the rest of her life.

*Sorry its short but because of Hurricane Irma, I wanted to get this part out in case I loose power or something. Be safe everyone!