Christmas Surprise

November 30, 2013. Thanksgiving had just passed, and December was right around the corner–meaning it was now appropriate to get ready Christmas.

Eliza loved Christmas. She loved every aspect of the holiday and she never hesitated to celebrate as early as possible. In fact, every year, starting from December 1st, she would countdown 25 days until Christmas Day. She'd even baked Christmas cookies last night for the occasion.

As she set up the Christmas tree in her living room, Eliza found herself humming her favorite Burl Ives song:

Have a holly, jolly Christmas! It's the best time of the year...

"What's going on here over here?" A voice from behind her asked. She giggled as she felt arms wrap around her waist and Alex kissed her on the cheek.

"Hey stop it! You know I'm ticklish!" She complained.

Alex released her. "Ya know I can't help it. I love hearing you laugh."

Eliza gestured to the tree. "You wanna help decorate? There's lots of ornaments to hang. There are even green ones—your favorite color!" She held them up to coerce him.

Alex just shook his head, chuckling, and took an ornament. "Is this the infamous 25 days of Christmas you do every year?"

Eliza smiled knowingly. "Actually, that starts tomorrow on December 1st. I'm just getting ready."

"Don't you think a whole month of celebrating Christmas is a bit much?"

Eliza shrugged. "Yeah, for some people it is, but I love Christmas too much to care."

"That's good, cause I love Christmas too." Alex said with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "Because I get to spend it with my lovely wife."

Eliza snorted. "When did you become so corny?"

"I know you love it." Alex teased.

"Alright, you got me. Maybe if you keep chumming up to me, I'll give you a cookie." Eliza picked one up from a tray.

Alex's eyes widened. "I didn't know you made cookies! Let me have one."

"Sorry Alex, you gotta wait until tomorrow when 25 days of Christmas begins." Eliza said.

"But my stomach can't wait! Just one cookie?" Alex begged.

"No can do. You'll have t-"

Before she could finish her sentence, Alex lunged for it. She swerved out of his way just barely.

"You're gonna have to try harder than that!" Eliza snickered as she dashed out of his way and ran into their bedroom. He ran in close behind and managed to grab her arm that was holding the cookie. Eliza tried to push him away with her other arm, but Alex was stronger. Just before he was about to steal it from her hand, she stomped on his foot and dived out of the way.

"Wow you have sharp heels!" Alex exclaimed, clutching his foot with his hands.

"Alex~" Eliza said playfully. "I'm going to eat it."

"That's against the rules of 25 Days of Christmas!" Alex protested.

Eliza smirked. "I made the rules and I can bend them." As she lifted the cookie to her mouth, Alex tackled her and they fell on the bed.