#18

I can hear voices but it seemed like it was muffled.

I can see but the lights were blinding that it made my vision blurry and spotted.

I felt my body shake as I lay down on the stretcher but I couldn't feel my own body. I couldn't move.

The sound of tires screeching on the floor and the faint voices of these people wearing white clothes were the only sound that my ears could hear.

These people brought me to another room and based on the surrounding, I think I'm in the operating room. I held my breath when a person all clothed in blue and a mask covered his face injected some liquid into my system. And in a few seconds, I felt drowsy and sleepy.

When I woke up, I was standing in the hallways of the hospital. I looked at my body and tried to feel it to see if this was real. Sensing that I was fine, I smiled to myself and turned around to look for the exit but Alexander's worried face greeted me, making me took a step back.

But I was shocked and at the same time confusion etched on my face when he just ignored me and took a sharp turn to the left corner of the hallway hurriedly.

Realizing what just happened, I looked at my surroundings and found out that no one could see me or even hear me. I was an invicible being that no one could notice.

'So the car crash was all true. So I'm a roaming ghost now?' I tried to convinced myself.

"Am I dead?" I asked myself as I touched my face as if an answer would pop out of nowhere. Wanting to find some answers I decided to look for Alexander.

My eyes landed at where had Alexander had disappeared to and quickly followed him. When I saw him enter a room, I quickly ran after him and also slipped inside the room.

Alexander stood on the foot of the bed with a shock face before his tears begun falling desperately from his eyes. His tears were like competing for a race. I stared at Alexander wondering what made him like that since I couldn't see what was on the bed since before you could enter the room, there is a small hallway.

So whatever thing that made him cry was unknown to me. I took a walk further into the room and decided to check out for myself.

When I reached where Alexander stood, my eyes slowly turned at the bed in front of us. When I saw what was on the bed, I felt my whole world took a dangerous turn which made me took one step back.

I watched myself lie there at the bed with an unconsious state. A tube was attached to my mouth to help me breath. A bandaged was wrap around my head as bruises and small cuts could be seen on my body. My right leg and left arm were cemented and in short, I looked so horrible and broken.

"Lay... what have I done?"

I heard Alexander croaked out in a shaky voice. He neared my lifeless body with tear stained face. He wanted to touch me so badly but he didn't knew where to place his hands as if he's afraid that if he happen to touch in the wrong place I would stop breathing in no time.

"Oh my god Lay, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. It was my fault, please don't leave me, I'm begging you." He kneeled on the floor still crying his heart out.

"Lay please? Don't leave me." He begged.

I stood there dumbfounded as I listen to Alexander plead to not leave him that he was so sorry for everything.

The urge to comfort him was so strong but what could a ghost like me do? He couldn't even feel, hear or see me. If it really was my time to die, I would gladly accept it but what worried me was Caleb.

My son was too young to lose me. He didn't even had the chance to know the truth and correct all the lies I have been making about his other dad. Caleb is so precious to me that I never want him to feel what I felt when I lost my mother when I was young. Losing your only parent who had raised you was so painful that I wanted to die too. But having Caleb in my life, I wanted him too feel what it feels like to have someone looking out for him. I wanted him to feel what a true family feels like.

But deep inside me, there is this nagging feeling that wanted to blame Alexander for everything. Me and Caleb were fine without him and if he wouldn't have to butt in, I wouldn't be here lying on the bed grasping for my dear life.

I looked at Alexander who was still crying beside my bed. I glared at him so hard that if looks could kill, he must have been torn into shreds now.

If only I had turned a blind eye to him. If only I had ignored him from the first place. If only I could turn back the time, I wouldn't want to be with him anymore. Whenever he's around, I would always end up in more dangerous situations. If I let Alexander be with me, I couldn't imagine what would happen next. I feel threatened that I wanted to kill him myself just to end my sufferings.

"Lay, I'm so sorry, please don't leave me. I've waited for a long time to finally reunite with you. You can't just leave me. Don't you dare. If you die then I will also willingly follow you. I promised myself that I wouldn't let you go again."

In a haste, Alexander took something out from his pockets. It was a small blue pouch. He opened it and took out an all too familiar silver ring and quickly slipped it on my right ring finger since my other arm was cemented.

"Please Lay, I'm begging you. You can't do this. Please wake up for me baby please."

Like a mantra, Alexander kept on repeating those words like it was his saving grace. The dawn turned into morning as I sat down on one of the sofa placed in the room. Alexander was sitting on one of the stools of the room next to my bed. His eyes were hollow and tired as he looked at my sleeping face on the bed.

I stood up from where I sat and neared my body who was unmoving on the hospital bed. My hand landed on my right hand as the silver ring gave out a shiny reflection.

Even though seven years had passed, the ring didn't lose its shine. It seemed like it was always properly cleaned everyday. My eyes were so focused on the ring on my hand that I didn't managed to hear the door to my room open.

A loud cry echoed in the room which broke me and Alexander out from our reveries. With a shock expression, I looked at Caleb who was wailing as he stood on the foot of my bed with tears cascading down from his eyes while constantly calling out for me.

"Daaaaad!"

Caleb called out as he cried. Alexander stood frozen on his spot as he watched Caleb cry his heart out. Diam had also entered the room and quickly pulled Caleb into his arms to comfort him and when Diam's eyes landed to Alexander, he was so shocked that he couldn't utter a single word. Diam's expression also mirrored Alexander's.