#16

"Caleb?"

I called out as I looked at my wristwatch since he was taking his time out. Caleb left to his room to get his book but he's been taking too long. I decided to slip on my own shoes and grabbed Caleb's shoes and make him slip on it on the car since we're running late for his class.

"Caleb! Hurry up we're gonna be late." I called out one last time.

The sound of small footsteps sounded from inside and Caleb finally showed up with nothing on his hand. I frowned.

"Where's your book?"

"I forgot. I already put it in my bag." He shyly answered which made me breathed a tired sigh.

"Dad, where's my shoes?"

Without an answer, I picked my son up from the floor and quickly locked our house.

"You can put it on in the car. We're running late dear."

I unlocked the car door and buckled Caleb on the passenger seat before bending down and putting on his shoes.

"Thanks dad!"

"You're welcome buddy." I replied while ruffling his hair.

I quickly ran to the driver's side and went inside and turned on the car ignition then drove off.

Since the day is still starting, the streets wasn't that jammed with cars so I can freely drive on the streets without worrying about traffic. It only took a couple of fifteen minutes to reached Caleb's school. I parked the car on the school's parking lot and quickly got Caleb out from the car.

"Waaah! Caleb!"

Someone called out with a cute tone of voice. I glanced back and saw one of Caleb's classmate.

"Zoeeeeey!" Caleb also chirped and went out from my grasps to give his classmate a friendly hug.

"Oh goodmorning Mr. Malcolm. Sorry about Zoey, she's just so fond about Caleb that she's so excited to go to school."

A petite and blonde lady in her late twenty's came up to me. And judging from Zoey's features and this woman's features, she must be her mother.

"Ah... hello. So you are Zoey's mother, please to meet you." I gave out a smile and stretched out my hand to give a handshake.

"I'm Rhian Chase, Zoey's mother." She also reached out to get my hand and shook it with a tender smile.

"I was so busy with work that I didn't have time to send my daughter to school myself. It has always been her nanny who accompanies her but now I'm off from my job, I can finally send her to school myself."

"You are such an admirable dad to Caleb. Even though you're so busy you still have the time to drop Caleb to school."

"Ah yes... can't help it since I'm a single parent." I laughed awkwardly.

"Oh? Where's your wife Mr. Malcolm?"

"Ah?" I trailed as I blinked my eyes quickly.

I tried not to frown but I just couldn't help it. I wanted to tell her that I am the one who bear and carried Caleb for nine months but I don't know why my mouth refuses to say it.

"Ah... she left us a long time ago." I lied with gritted teeth.

"I'm sorry. That girl must be dumb to leave someone like you, a capable and a handsome man to boot!" She chirped which made me laughed awkwardly.

Yeah... If only you knew that I was married to a guy, I bet you wouldn't dare utter a word. I would've laughed at your stone face upon hearing it and you would've eaten those 'capable and handsome' words to yourself.