Chapter 23

The chorus of this song posted above inspired the second half of this chapter!

***
I am finally on my way to the school's health center to get my cast off. Niall, Rae, and Brett are with me so I have an audience for my panicking. I am trying to hide my freaking out, but they might know since Rae and Brett insisted on coming. I wanted Niall to come so he could hold my hand and keep me calm. That won't be happening now.

"I think we should just keep it on. I have grown accustomed to having it." I look down at the cast.

"You will be fine. Quit being a baby." Brett laughs at me.

"Thanks for the reassurance, Brett." I roll my eyes.

"Love," Niall whispers. Brett offered to drive so I'm sitting in the passenger seat. Niall is sitting behind me. He leans forward so he can talk to me and no one else will hear. "You will be fine. The doctor knows what he is doing and the saw won't chop off your arm."

I don't believe him, but his voice is soothing. Niall relaxes me and for the rest of the drive I am calm. We spend the drive talking about how our classes went today.

When we get to the health center and I walk up to check in a blonde hair bombshell is working. She looks me up and down and scoffs. I have no clue who she is, but she seems to know who I am. I look down at her name tag. Amanda, hmm, doesn't ring a bell.

"Hi, I have an appointment at two with Dr. Young." I smile at Amanda and try to be friendly. "My name is Jess-"

"I know who you are." Amanda looks me up and down. "You slept with my boyfriend last year."

"Yikes." I awkwardly pause. I don't know know what to say. "I, um, I'm sorry."

"Sure you are." Amanda rolls her eyes.

"Just think of it this way, I helped you realize that he was an ass." I let out a laugh, but Amanda doesn't seem amused. "Well, I will just be sitting right over there." I point behind me and then walk away.

I walk over to Brett and the others. Rae has a knowing smile. Does she know who that girl is? I smile at them as I get closer and take a seat next to Rae.

"What was up with that girl," Brett asks.

"Oh, um." I don't want Niall to know, but what else am I suppose to say? "Apparently I know her boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. She really didn't make it clear."

"I thought she looked familiar! You slept with her boyfriend last year at fright night!" Rae basically yells and I turn to see Amanda glaring at me.

"Shhh!" I quickly bring my finger to Rae's lips.

"Jess," Niall says disapprovingly.

"What? I didn't know he had a girlfriend." I shrug while trying to act innocent. The truth is that I knew he had a girlfriend and that's why I slept with him, I think. I am a terrible person, but I need to keep Niall around. He will make me a better person and I need to be at least a little better. Now I feel bad for lying. "Okay, maybe I did know."

"You remember why you slept with him, right," Rae quietly asks.

"Not really. Do you know why I slept with him?"

"She," Rae points at Amanda. "We worked together last year at the book store and she was terrible to me. One day she called me fat and that night you slept with her boyfriend."

"Wow, I am such a great friend." Hopefully Niall will think that.

"Jess, you could have handled that differently," Niall says.