Chapter 4

I stand there with my mouth wide open. For years this mistake of mine was forbidden to be spoken of, but now here are my parents joking about it. What they don't know is that I got an abortion. I lied to them and told them I was keeping the baby and then a couple weeks later I told them I had a miscarriage. I knew they would talk me out of an abortion or secretly hate me if they knew the truth. It's better this way.

"Don't worry she won't end up pregnant. I will watch her." Brett comes to my rescue again.

I stay silent, not really knowing what to say or do. Once they get in the car Brett and I quickly say goodbye and watch as our parents get in their car and drive away.

"What was with the joke about me getting pregnant?" I turn to Brett once my parents are out of sight.

"Who knows. It was weird, that's for sure." Brett shakes his head thinking about it.

"Don't tell Niall or anyone else. Nobody knows and I don't want it getting out." I think Harry and Liam would understand, but it would bother Louis and kill Rae. I don't even want to know how Niall would react.

"I won't," Brett smiles at me and we walk to the car. Once we get in Brett starts to ask, "will you take us to get our books?"

"You know you don't have to have your books until next week right?" It's going to be a mad house at the bookstore.

"Don't books sell out and stuff like that?" Brett looks at me.

"Well yes, but-" before I can finish my sentence Niall cuts me off.

"Better safe than sorry." Niall says while smiling.

"Is that your motto or something?" As the words leave my mouth Niall's smile disappears.

When we get to the bookstore there is no where to park so we have to park way up the street. I try convincing the guys to let me just drive them to the front and wait. I can get my books later, but they insisted on me getting my books now. As I'm parking the car Brett gets a phone call. He gets out of the car and starts walking ahead of us. Niall and I get out of my car and quietly start walking. Without much thought I decide to apologize to Niall for teasing him so much.

"Niall, when I tease you about being innocent and when I called you a freak, I wasn't trying to be mean. I just, it's just how I am. I tease everyone, it's a sign of endearment." I feel weird trying to be nice.

Niall smiles and I can't believe I'm thinking this, but his smile is breathtaking. He really is an attractive guy. What a waste.

"You can show your endearment for people in a nicer way." He walks away catching up to Brett.

Okay then. That didn't turn out how I wanted it to. I run to catch up to them so I don't look like a loser walking alone.

"What classes are you guys taking?" I will try to be nice.

"I'm taking all the freshmen classes I have to take plus anatomy and physiology and chemistry." Brett says and I feel bad for him.

"Your semester is going to suck." I laugh at all of the studying he is going to have to do.

"It won't be bad." Brett shrugs it off. He will be able to handle it though. "What about you Niall?"

"Just a whole lot of math and chemistry classes. I am taking a creative writing class for fun though." Niall smiles at us. I'm a t.a for a creative writing class this semester. I wonder if it's for Niall's class?

"Niall it's your freshmen year, take things easy." If I was him I would.

"The only problem is that I'm not a freshmen. This is my third year so I'm a junior." Niall looks over at me and laughs when he sees my surprised face.