Chapter 43

As I walk through the tunnel of the stadium to the soccer field the only thing I can hear are my heels and my breathing. A small part of me is nervous to see Niall. I guess it's not nerves its excitement. I haven't seen Niall since Wednesday morning and today is Saturday. I have been busy with school and tutoring and Niall has had two days for soccer. He has practice at six in the morning and then another practice at four p.m.

We made plans to go grab dinner, hence the heels. Niall's practice went longer than expected, again. I'm trying not to be upset about it, because it's not Niall's fault and this won't last forever. However, we only have a little less than two weeks before Christmas break. Next week I will be focused on my cousin's wedding. We don't have a lot of time together.

I got a text from Niall at six p.m telling me to meet him at the stadium in an hour. So I got ready and here I am. When I pulled up to the stadium Niall called me and told me to come to the field. Unfortunately, the only way to get to the field is to go under the stadium. It's a little scary. There is little to no light and there is a cold breeze. I feel like I'm in a horror movie and that stupid clown is going to pop up.

I relax once I see the opening of the tunnel. I pick up my pace, but go slow enough that I won't fall in my heels. That would be embarrassing. My knees and palms would get scraped up. Niall would blame himself, but he would take care of me. That's something I would be okay with.

Once I reach the opening of the tunnel I take in my surroundings. Just for a moment I have a glimpse into Niall, Louis, and Brett's lives. When they enter this stadium thousands of people are cheering and booing them. Their adrenaline pumping while they sprint out onto the field.

My eyes dart to the field searching for Niall. I find him standing at the center looking out at the stands. His back is turned to me. I can tell that he is on the phone so I quietly make my way to him. As I get closer I can hear his excitement as he talks.

"That sounds amazing! I had no idea that you were even watching." Niall turns around and his eyes land on me. His smile seems to falter, which doesn't make sense. He invited me here. "Listen, I have to go, but I look forward to meeting you." Niall hangs up his phone and smiles at me. "Hey beautiful!"

"Hey." I try to sound cheerful, but I am too paranoid about who he was talking to. "Who was that?"

"Just some scouts." Niall answers nonchalantly.

"Scouts? As in college scouts?" I look at Niall skeptically.

"No. Its professional leagues." Niall can sense my worry and reaches out to grab my hand. "Nothing to worry about, Jess. I still have a year and half left of school. Scouts aren't looking at me too seriously right now."

"I didn't know you wanted to play professional soccer." I look at Niall surprised.

"I don't," Niall smirks. "I want to play professional football."

"What about being an engineer?" I completely ignore his joke.

"I like it, but it's not my dream. This is my dream, Jess." I watch as Niall looks around the stadium. "If the team wins the championship, it will help me immensely. It will help Brett and Louis too."

"What teams are scouting you?" I prepare myself for the worst.

"Jess, let's not talk about this until it is actually something to talk about. The odds of me actually making a professional team are quite small." I see the disappointment in Niall's eyes. "Now, are you ready for this awesome date that I planned?"

I nod my head yes, even though I feel like Niall is hiding something. That doesn't sound like Niall. I am probably just imagining things. Since I am keeping a huge secret, I am letting myself think that Niall is also keeping a secret. Niall tells me everything, so I have nothing to worry about.