Chapter 32

I open my eyes fo find myself alone in my bed. I vaguely remember Niall leaving, but I was hoping that was a dream. Rae and Lacey are both absent from the room as well. Where did they sleep last night?

Without too much concern I climb out of bed and walk downstairs. As I get closer to the kitchen I hear Rae talking to someone. I hesitantly walk closer until I hear what Rae is saying. She clearly isn't talking to Harry. I hide behind the wall and listen.

"Crystal, I mean this as kind as possible, but give it up." Rae sighs and I can picture her giving Crystal the stink eye.

"Give what up," Crystal asks confused.

"Don't play dumb. Niall is with Jess." Rae's voice is clipped. I can tell she is annoyed.

"Niall and I are just friends." Crystal states matter of factly.

"Niall begs Jess on a daily basis to be with him. It will never be you. You will be happier if you go after someone else." Rae's voice is a little more rude than it was five seconds ago.

I walk into the room and smile at both of them. I don't need Rae to do my dirty work. However, I am grateful for a best friend who will fight for my relationship.

"Rae isn't wrong." Both of their eyes glued to me. Just waiting to see what I will do next. "Last night I had Niall begging me to be his. That doesn't sound like someone who likes you. Crystal, just move on. I have Niall eating out of the palm of my hand. He will never date you."

"You are a terrible person and he will see that." Crystal says so quiet that I almost don't hear her. "And when Niall figures that out I will be waiting for him." Crystal storms out of the room just as Rae and I start laughing.

"Pathetic." I say in between my laughter. When I finally stop laughing I say, "thanks for having my back."

"You're welcome." Rae smiles, but it doesn't reach her eyes. She is about to say something serious. "I just want you to know that your my best friend and I would do anything for you."

"That's good, because I would do the same for you!" I don't want to have another serious conversation with someone. Last night with Niall was exhausting.

"I feel like a complete psycho for asking this," Rae takes a deep breath. "Are we going to be friends after college? Your room is filled with pictures of people you have never talked about and I just want to know if I will eventually become like them."

This is why I have never had a best friend. They become needy and attached. I don't like having to worry about other people's feelings. Rae knows that and that's why she is staring at me so intently. Rae isn't like my old friends though. I do plan on staying friends with her. Do I really need to say it? Why do all friendships feel like relationships?

"I mean I thought we were moving in together after we graduated. We still have a year and half left of college. You might start hating me before we leave the university." I smile at Rae, feeling good about my answer.

Rae rolls her eyes and says, "that's a good point. I will keep you updated."

I let my shoulders drop as I relax. I don't know what brought this conversation on, but I think I defused the situation nicely. Feeling proud of myself for not saying anything snarky I walk over to the pot of coffee. I grab two mugs and fill them up. I walk over to the fridge and pull out the many kinds of creamer that my mom insists on having. I place them on the kitchen island and then walk into the pantry to grab the sugar. After I put that on the kitchen island I pull out two spoons and grab both mugs. I walk over and place one in front of Rae. I sit down and start mixing in creamer and sugar.