epilogue

6 YEARS LATER

"i'm home."

the raven-haired girl's eyelids fluttered open at the sound of the door opening, her boyfriend's arrival home interrupting the short nap she had planned on taking after a long day of track practice.

she rubbed her eyes tiredly, before going up to him, tiptoeing to wrap her arms around his neck and give him a peck on the cheek.

her cheeks were still tinted pink at her own actions-even after all those years. the same went for the latter.

it had been six years.

six years since the start of the two sports prodigies' relationship, and they were still going strong.

after graduating from high school, the couple had moved out of miyagi, to the bustling city of tokyo, renting an apartment big enough for the two of them to stay in.

their move from countryside to city was mainly because of ayako's acceptance into tokyo university, after getting scouted because of her exceptional performance in high school track.

that very same year, both of them, had also represented japan at the rio olympics, one playing for the volleyball team and the other running in the 800m and 1500m women's.

yes, they'd fulfilled their childhood promise after all those years.

while ayako went to university after graduation, the setter in turn advanced to the v-league instead of university, going pro-he was never one good at academics, anyway.

in a nutshell, one was now a college senior majoring in sports science by day and a national runner by night, and the other a full-time professional volleyball player.

and as for physique wise, the setter grew a good seven centimetres taller, as well was wider in build, while the track athlete barely grew, hence having to tiptoe whenever she felt like displaying affection for her boyfriend.

kageyama dropped his gym bag on the sofa, before placing the plastic bag of food he had brought home onto the dining table.

"i brought dinner home."

her mouth forming into an 'o', ayako walked over to the dining table to peer inside the plastic bag.

and of course, it had to be two boxes of pork curry takeout. pork curry was the only thing her boyfriend ever brought home when he was in charge of buying dinner.

she pulled the two boxes out of the plastic bag, along with the plastic cutlery that had been given, placing one box in front of her, and the other in front of the seat opposite, which the raven-haired male had slipped into.

she sat down as well, both of them mumbling a quick 'itadakimasu' before digging into their food.

"do you think you could get a couple of days your training and skip some classes next week?" the setter asked out of the blue.

ayako raised an eyebrow in question. "probably, since the season just finished, but why?"

"i'm having a game in miyagi next week," he replied. "and i thought you might wanna come, since its in our home turf and all..."

"ohh i see," she replied knowingly. "i'll check with my coach then."

a smile formed on his lips. "okay."

-

much to her delight, her coach had willingly let her take a couple of days off training, and she'd gotten a friend to help her take down notes for the lectures she was going to miss.