five

ayako

"...kageyama, miyazaki-san...can you go in? i'm scared..." the timid first-year asked, trembling at the sight of the third-years sitting in the classroom.

hinata had dragged both kageyama and i to follow him to find the supposed ace of karasuno, azumane asahi, who we had found out more about from nishinoya the previous day, hoping to be able to convince him to return to the club.

"hinata?" a voice called just then.

sugawara had noticed us outside the third-year classroom, and wondered what we were up to.

we walked over to the silver-haired setter, who was speaking to another boy

he pointed to the boy next to him, and introduced him to us.

"this is karasuno's ace, azumane asahi."

the boy was tall, easily six feet, and he had long hair which was tied up into a messy ponytail.

to be honest, if it weren't for his flustered expression, he would have seemed pretty intimidating.

"i-i'm no ace suga..." he stuttered, scratching the back of his neck.

sugawara ignored his comment, and instead gestured to us.

"these are some of the new first-years. kageyama tobio, hinata shoyo, and ayako miyazaki. kageyama plays setter, hinata plays middle blocker and miyazaki-chan's our photographer."

asahi smiled at us. "nice to meet you guys."

hinata was gazing at the supposed ace, his eyes twinkling.

"so this is how an ace looks like...! asahi-san, how's it being an ace? it must be super cool right? you can like go whoosh! then bam, and gwahh! with your height, you can probably always see the view from above! You know that feeling when you spike past all the blockers? it feels so good!"

the ace sighed. "the view from above. i used to know that feeling."

the bell rang, signalling the end of their break, and we headed back to class.

"aww! if asahi-san comes back to the club, we'll have both an ace and a libero!" hinata cried.

i patted his back lightly. "they'll come back. if they really love volleyball, that is."

-

the remaining lessons went by quickly, and i left for lunch with kageyama, as usual, after the lunch bell rang.

"um, miyazaki-san?" kageyama asked, before taking a long sip from his milk packet.

"can i see some of the pictures you took during the practice match with seijoh? hinata said you showed the team the photos on the bus that day but i kind of fell asleep..."

i nodded, flashing him a smile as i pulled my camera out of my bag. "sure."

"sugoi...all these are really good, miyazaki-san," kageyama commented, as he bent over, looking through the pictures.

i tried to hide the smile that was tingling on my lips, but to no avail.

the setter bent over, looking intently at the photos.

i watched him go over photo after photo, but didn't realize he had clicked too far, and accidentally stumbled over some photos i took of kitagawa's volleyball matches in junior high.