forty-four

29 DECEMBER

ayako and kageyama walked through the supermarket hand-in-hand, going through the aisles of food.

why were they here? the answer was simple.

a team gathering. karasuno high school volleyball team's gathering, specifically.

it was later that evening, at nishinoya's house, since his parents' were out of the country, visiting relatives in some other part of the world.

and their upperclassman was also the one to first suggest the idea of having a team gathering.

he stated that they'd never had one, and to celebrate them advancing to the spring high nationals, they should throw one.

as to why they'd chosen to have one on their photographer's birthday, the reason was unknown to ayako.

but spending her sixteenth birthday with the team she loved so much wasn't something she'd turn down.

which was why kageyama and ayako were here at the supermarket, as they had been tasked to get the snacks before they headed over to the nishinoya residence.

"how much do we get?" kageyama asked, as he looked around the aisle they were currently at, which was filled with bags of potato chips.

she shrugged. "i don't know, did nishinoya-san tell you how much we need to get?"

the boy shook his head. "no, he just said get as much as possible."

"is he trying to get all of us sick before nationals or something?" the girl commented, sighing.

"we'll just get enough for the whole team, i guess."

the latter nodded in agreement.

she proceeded to reach for a pack of doritos, on the top shelf.

unfortunately for her, due to the height difference between her and the shelf, reaching the packet of chips wasn't an easy feat.

she first tiptoed, stretching out both her hands to reach it.

but when she realized tiptoeing wasn't going to be able to do the job, she jumped, in hope of grabbing it off the shelf.

but if you've forgot, she was a runner, not a volleyballer.

much to her disappointment, her first jumping attempt was in vain.

next to her, the raven-haired boy, with the full knowledge he could easily reach it, stayed put, watching as his girlfriend attempted to reach the packet of doritos over and over in vain.

he didn't say it out loud, but he thought it was cute.

watching her fail a couple more times wouldn't hurt, would it?

and indeed, after failing after a couple more attempts, ayako let out a frustrated grunt.

she turned to kageyama, gesturing to the packet of chips on the top shelf.

"can you help me get it?"

a laugh escaped his lips, when he saw her defeated expression.

she shot a feigned glare in his direction. "were you enjoying watching me fail?"

"g-gomen," he immediately apologized, and added. "it was cute."

her cheeks flushed pink. "you need to stop randomly saying things like that, it's embarrassing...!"

a smile formed on his lips, as he reached over to take the packet of doritos.

"here you go," he said, handing it over to her.