twelve

ayako

after everyone had been dismissed, and went on their way home, the boys feeling more pumped up for the next day's game after shimizu's attempt at cheering.

"i'm so excited for tomorrow!" hinata exclaimed, as the usual trio made their way back together. "we're going to an actual volleyball tournament!"

"what's there to be so excited about, boke. it's not like we're going for nationals or anything," kageyama rolled his eyes.

"-yet," i finished.

hinata's eyes lit up. "yeah! we're going to win every round, and then we're going to make it to nationals!"

kageyama clenched his palm into a fist.

"yeah. we're going to nationals."

my heart warmed at their determination.

they were going to make it to nationals.

when we reached the turn where hinata parted ways with us, the ginger got onto his bike, and went on his way.

"remember to take good pictures of us tomorrow, miyazaki-san!" he exclaimed, before riding off on his bike.

"you're coming tomorrow, right?" kageyama asked.

i nodded. "of course i am."

the setter nodded in acknowledgement, then the two went silent again.

that was until the raven-haired boy broke the silence again.

"but the track inter-high qualifiers commences around the same time as the volleyball inter-high preliminaries finals. if we do make it there, you won't be able to watch us, will you?"

"h-huh? what do you mean i won't be there to watch?" i asked, confused for a split second.

but it all quickly pieced together.

he was simply implying that i'd be at the track inter-high qualifiers.

"but i haven't even decided if i'm going to join or not, by the time i make up my mind, it's probably too late, anyway," i told him.

"then why not you make your mind up right now?" the boy stared bluntly.

his words hit me harder then i thought they would.

make up my mind right now.

i had spent weeks pondering over the offer. if i really was so scared of doing competitive running again, why was still thinking of whether or not to accept the offer? wouldn't i have just rejected it?

"if you really want to run, just accept the offer. because if you're not accepting it just because you're scared, don't be," kageyama continued.

"don't be scared of not winning, because you didn't start running just to win, right? you started because you love running, and you still do, don't you?"

it took a while before i realised that was exactly what i needed.

a smile began to spread across my face.