nine

ayako

as i surveyed the game through my camera, i noticed the ball was flying straight to kageyama.

his palms were already ready to set the ball, his eyes fixated on nothing but the ball, and the spiker who was going to run up.

click! my camera shutter snapped as he tossed the ball into a straight line, right to hinata.

the ball hit the other side of the court, past all blocks.

i frowned, wondering why nekoma's captain was unable to block it.

but it hit me a couple of seconds after.

only the brunette middle blocker was accustomed to their god-like quick sets, not this bedhead middle blocker.

and kageyama had probably realised that way before i did, which was why he switched back to their usual, oddball quick.

-

beep!

the whistle blew, signalling the end of the match.

despite karasuno gradually catching up, nekoma still took both sets, and won the practice match.

hinata had even called for one more, and they played 3 matches in total, and karasuno lost every single one.

the ginger middle blocker was sulking, as the boys returned to the sidelines to get water.

he was really looking forward to win, huh.

everyone was now cleaning up, and i put down my camera, heading to help as well.

after i pushed a cart of volleyballs into the equipment room, i went out to find hinata and nekoma's #7 energetically jumping up and down, having a conversation.

it was hardly a proper conversation, filled words like 'gwahh!' and 'bam!' and 'whoosh!'

tsukishima was also staring at them in disbelief. "do you understand them?"

i shook my head. "don't even ask."

nekoma's captain, kuroo testurou, snickered from next to us.

"that's hardly a highschooler's conversation, is it?"

"no shit," i dryly replied.

"but it's fine for you to have some fun like the other first-years, you know," he continued.

"nah, not my thing," tsukishima said flatly, before walking off.

the captain chuckled, and shook his head in the blonde's direction.

he then turned to me, a glint in his eye.

"you karasuno's first-year manager?" he asked.

"nope, i'm just their unofficial photographer."

"no wonder you were scurrying around the court taking photos," he chuckled. "plus, i figured you couldn't be their manager since you were probably in karasuno's track."

i raised an eyebrow. "karasuno's track?"

the captain smirked. "you're ayako miyazaki, the prodigy 800m runner. i'd recognise you anywhere."

i was speechless for a split second, but i then remembered that my name and face used to be splashed across the cover page of athletics magazines.

"actually, you're wrong," i replied crisply. "i'm not in karasuno's track. i don't have a club activity."

that seemed to take kuroo aback. "you're not?"

i nodded. "yeah, i'm not."

"why not?"

"got tired of it."

"well that's new," he commented. "never heard of any star athlete dropping out because they got tired of it. you could've came to nekoma, pretty sure they scouted you."

"came to nekoma for what?" i laughed.

"for me," he said, smirking.

i rolled my eyes.

"yeah, i totally would have if i knew there was someone like you in nekoma," i replied, voice thick with sarcasm.

kuroo stretched an arm out, chuckling.

"i like you, miyazaki-chan. you're pretty interesting."

i shook his outstretched arm, and nodded. "you too, kuroo-san."

i let out a long exhale as i headed back to my team.

it'd been a while since i had spoken about track with anyone, and talking about it brought back some memories that weren't the best.

however, i wouldn't lie, i wasn't as uncomfortable as i used to be when i spoke about track.

why so? i had no idea myself.

-

both teams headed out together, vowing to see each other again at nationals, having another 'battle at the garbage dump' match, but next time in an arena with a huge crowd.

yamamoto and tanaka had tears in their eyes as we said farewell.

overreacting much. i thought.

we all headed back to the school gym after bidding our rivals farewell, and coach ukai have a quick briefing.

i stood awkwardly next to shimizu, listening like everyone else as he briefed the team.

"today's game's turnout wasn't the best, but i'm not going to harp on that," he started.

"the real inter-high tournaments are coming around the corner...so let's analyze today's games, then practice...and get payback!"

"OSU!" the boys replied in unison.

coach ukai dismissed them soon after, and i awkwardly approached the coach, wanting to clarify my doubts.

i thought he was only coaching until the match with nekoma, so why did he mention inter-high?

"yes, miyazaki-san?" the coach asked, seeing me awkwardly approaching him.

"ano...i thought you were only coaching until the match with nekoma? i didn't know you were going to be with the team longer," i asked, before hastily adding,

"n-not that you can't stay! i'm just curious..."

coach ukai let our a hearty laugh. "it's fine, miyazaki-san. but the reason why i'm staying is...

did you see that smirk on that old hag's face just now?! we have to beat nekoma and i'm not stopping until we do!" he exclaimed, suddenly changing his tone.

i figured the 'old hag', was probably nekoma's senior coach.

i nodded my head, trying to stifle my laughter at the coach's outburst.

"i see..."

after the boys had taken all their stuff from the club room, i headed back with kageyama and hinata.

"all those games...we lost them all!" hinata exclaimed exasperately as we made our way back.

"if it was a real match..." kageyama murmured, clenching his jaw tightly.

"we've got to train harder so we can get to nationals for interhigh..!" hinata finished.

i smiled at their determination.

they really wanted to make it to nationals.

a/n
sorry for the really short chapter! this was meant to be sort of a filler soo