forty-two

"this kinda sucks. we're both going to be gone for a week."

"tell me about it," ayako replied, letting out a sigh as well.

their respective club practices had ended for the day, and kageyama and ayako were walking home together, as usual.

earlier on during her track practice, coach hana had announced that both hayashi and her had been invited to the annual national youth track&field training camp in tokyo-the boys' and girls' one respectively.

that was also where the scouting for future national team members took place.

and where-quoting coach hana-she could 'scout out the competition she'd be facing at nationals', since majority of the runners invited were probably athletes who made it to nationals in the respective regions, just like her.

coincidentally, kageyama was also going to be in tokyo around the same time period as her.

likewise, he'd been invited to the volleyball all-japan youth training camp.

it was good news, but the bad part about the news was that the couple was not going to be able to see each other for the next week.

okay not that she was trying to be an awfully clingy girlfriend or anything but-

-it just wasn't something the girl was used to, given the fact she was with kageyama almost every other day, even before the two were dating.

they went to school together every morning, went home together after club activity and spent break and lunch in school together.

the only thing she did without him was track.

and ironically, that was the reason why they were going to be a week apart now.

"do you think we could meet in tokyo?" kageyama questioned.

ayako let out a dry laugh. "i wish. but we're both going to be having training camps, dumbass."

he huffed. "true."

"i guess we could call at night, if you want," she suggested.

"yeah, we could." he smiled at the suggestion.

as they approached the girl's house, she stopped short in front of him, and pulled him into a hug.

"don't miss me too much, okay?"

"you better don't too," he scoffed, returning the hug.

when they pulled away, ayako did something she wouldn't usually do.

"oi, give me your phone."

the setter gave her a skeptical look, but handed it over anyway.

a shy smile tingling on her lips, she swiped right on his phone, opening his camera.

she then lifted his phone up, leaning in closer to him.

and she captured a photo of both of them.

she handed her phone back to him, cheeks pink. "in case you miss me."

kageyama, a light blush on his cheeks as well, took his phone back from the raven-haired girl.

"i'll send it to you later. in case you miss me as well," he told her with a light-hearted chuckle.

smiling, she nodded. "okay."

"well...i think you should go in now."

"yeah...i guess i should. see you after the training camp, tobio."