thirty-two

ONE DAY BEFORE SPRING HIGH PRELIMINARIES [TRACK&FIELD]

ayako

"yosha! we're done!" hayashi exclaimed, dropping onto the ground, panting heavily.

"yeah," i replied, lying down on the ground next to him, heavy breathing resounding through my ears.

practice had already ended, and we were finishing up the last few laps of our extra set.

yamamoto, sakurai, hayashi and i were staying back for extra training as usual, before the big day tomorrow.

the spring high was going to be the third-year's last chance of getting to nationals, so they were all pumped.

as for hayashi and i, we just wanted to do what we couldn't in the inter high.

we were going to nationals, and get ranked.

nakamura clapped her hands together, interrupting my thoughts.

"okay, you guys are done! well done!"

she stretched out both her arms to pull hayashi and i off the ground. "get up, you both. hurry up and change before i need to lock up the clubroom."

"hai," we replied in unison as i let her pull me up, before heading off to the clubroom to change.

i pulled my phone out of my bag as i opened my locker.

today was the volleyball boy's first day at spring high, and i couldn't watch because i had to attend morning and evening practice, given the fact my race was the next day.

i quickly thumbed in a message to kageyama.

are you guys otw back to school? how was the game?

i received a reply almost immediately.

we're almost back. we won both games.

a smile stretched across my lips. i knew they'd do well.

"quit smiling at your phone and get changed, miyazaki-chan!" nakamura huffed, looking over from behind me.

my head instantly shot up, and i quickly stuffed my phone back into my bag, pulling out a fresh t-shirt which i hastily changed into.

"h-hai! gomen."

my vice-captain chuckled. "it's that volleyball boy you're always with, right?"

i nodded awkwardly.

"you like him don't you, miyazaki-chan?" she teased.

blushing bright red, because it was the first time she'd asked me about kageyama, i slowly nodded.

she chuckled. "i knew it. good luck, yeah? i'm rooting for you. just don't let a boy distract you from track."

"h-hai..."

just then, there was a knock on the door. hayashi peered inside.

"you done, ichiko?"

eh? her first name with no honorifics?

nakamura nodded, and picked up her shoe bag. "yeah. miyazaki-chan, you're done too right?"

i nodded, picking up my things as well.

i followed her out of the club room, where she locked up, before turning back to hayashi.

"we can go now, ryouta."

she then turned back to me, smiling brightly. "see you tomorrow, miyazaki-chan."

hayashi waved at me as well. "ja, ne."