thirty-six

"kageyama, make a bet with me. you confess to miyazaki if we win finals."

and they did.

the setter never forgot about the bet he had made with his captain, despite how exhausted and overjoyed he was from the final match. 

the volleyball team parted ways after the coach had treated them to a good meal, to celebrate their victory.

and right before kageyama had left with miyazaki and hinata, his captain had tapped him on the shoulder, giving the boy a reminder of what he had to do.

"if you don't, i'll be very disappointed in you, kageyama," he had said.

"if you don't, i'll tell her for you, which will be way more insincere and cowardly!" his vice-captain had added.

but he didn't need them to remind him.

as focused as he was on their volleyball matches since the day he'd made the bet with daichi, kageyama never forgot about the bet.

he was determined to win the finals, and knew they had to win finals if they wanted to go to nationals.

so he knew he was going to end up confessing.

he had thought about it everyday, before he went to bed. the repeated questions of 'how's' and 'what if's' never stopped flooding his mind, but he had eventually shoved them all out.

if he never confessed, he would never know how she felt.

just like the various volleyball tactics the team had attempted over the summer training camp.

if they had all never thought of trying it out, the attacks would have never been put into action.

and without those attacks, they may not have been successful in achieving the victories they had attained today.

in the same way, if he didn't just suck it up and tell her how he felt, he may not be able to know, or get something he could've known or gotten, should he have confessed. 

and the thing he could get or know through confessing, may just be that she felt the same way.

that was something he'd never want to miss.

which was why, now that he was alone with miyazaki, walking home with her as usual after hinata had parted ways with them, he was going to tell her.

and where was he going to do it?

where else could he do it, other than the place that had led to the start of them.

that vending machine.

"a-ano...miyazaki?" he asked, flustered, as they were approaching the vending machine. "can i talk to you for a bit...?"

"vending machine?" the raven-haired girl replied, cocking her head in the direction of it.

the setter nodded, and the two teenagers headed towards it.

ayako dropped her bag on the bench before getting two packets of yogurt drink, passing one to kageyama as she sat down next to her raven-haired friend.

the girl was slightly confused as to why he needed to talk, because today had been a good day.

karasuno had won, and were going to nationals.

but since it was kageyama, and since she had told him she could listen to him anytime, she was all ready to hear him out.

"what's up?" she asked, with a smile.