TWENTY

I was chatting happily with Sean when my tommy rumbled, he looked at my tommy and laughed.
"Let me fix something for us" I said heading towards the kitchen. He followed.
"I brought back some packets of Cornflakes, I can bring one for you to eat first before fixing a real food" he offered.
I smiled at him "we have some cornflakes remaining in the old pack, but you can still bring yours out to the counter if you would love to"
He nodded "I'll do that when I unpack" he said.
"So how is every other thing?" I asked.

He had already told me he was twenty and lived alone in New York until two years ago when he moved in with one of his friends in a cheap apartment. He worked as a waiter and played drum with a band, so he was paid well enough to fend for himself. He didn't agree to be adopted because he was a lazy youth who didn't have anything, I learnt.

His parents and a sister had died sixteen years ago in a fire in their house, he was out that day at a friend's out and it was his sister's birthday. Nobody exactly knew what happened, from his voice he sounded wounded and quite sad even after those years. He had been called by his friend's mother whom he had been in their house and he had been taken to the house, just in time to see the bodies being wheeled away. He had nearly been devastated, he grew up in an orphanage since his mother's sister was a Nun and her brother had been long gone to who knows where. His father's brother was too drunk to give a shit about his own children let alone for him and his other siblings? Well he was just too scared to stay with any of them, so he was thrown in an orphanage.

When I asked him why he became so interested in our family, he said he loved my parents.. Well our parents now. He said he first met them online, he wanted to make sure they were good people first, so he came down here without their knowledge and monitored them for a while, he said he saw me once then and loved that we minded our business. He said mg parents reminded him that he could still be loved by parents if he gave himself the chance, so he accepted and boom he actually got to love them, and it was undoubted that my parents really loved him too and who wouldn't love such a person.

"Fine and good" he replied "just finished college you know, preparing for the University"
I nodded "Well good" I said "any plans?"
He nodded "of course, Dad said I shouldn't worry, but I plan to help too"
I smiled at him "that's good"
He took a seat and helped me take out the cornflakes, then brought out two plates and poured the flakes and milk inside.
"Yea" he simply said. I turned and began to take out ingredients for the food, when he tapped me.
I jumped, startled "Sean!"
He laughed "that was fun" he said "I will make some cookies later if you don't mind"
I giggled "of course, get ready for some real mockery from me if they don't taste so nice"
He tapped my shoulder "it will taste as good as I look" he said sticking out his tongue.
"Oh you look like a frog" I fought back, Sean chuckled and made to laugh when he was cut short.
"Who looks like a frog?" Anna snickered, walking into the kitchen.
I frowned just as Sean looked at me and turned towards the door. When he saw her, his eyes widened in shock.
"Anna?" He asked.
"And who the hell do you think you are?" She glared at him.
"Anna!" I yelled at her.
She smirked "you now bring in random boys to laugh around with" she shrugged "that's nice, he looks like a whole snack"
I totally ignored her, but nearly laughed.
"Hi, I'm Sean" he said grinning "I'm your new brother"
Anna glared at him, a bit puzzled "And you're already getting along so well with her" she clicked her tongue, then made a face at me and walked out.
Sean shrugged "great"
I chuckled "sorry about that"
He ate his cornflakes "she is my sister now too, you won't be apologizing for everything she does"

Anna's POV

I walked back lazily to my room, I hadn't really gotten enough rest since I saw that message. For the first time in years I longed for who to talk to. I felt both scared and puzzled, I sank into my bed feeling sick and worn out, then his face came into view. Sean. He was really handsome and looked cool too, maybe if I just win him over to my side, you know try to be nice to him, then I might get to talk to him. I shook that thought off, by the way he was just a little boy. I jumped back into my bed and covered myself with a blanket. I was trying to get some sleep when my phone rang. I lazily picked it up without looking at the ID, expecting it to be my boss.
"Hello, Annabel" I said not needing to play out how tired I was.
"Have you been well?" I heard that familiar voice, I nearly jumped out of the bed.
"Ken?" My heart was already racing.
He chuckled "of course it's me. You sound..."
"What do you want? I'm spending time with my family right now and I wouldn't want it to be ruined" I said
He laughed again "I see but I'm truly sorry" he said
"What?"

He cleared his throat, "you see, you need to get back here at the first flight tomorrow"
I gasped "What?" I haven't even had time to think over this whole hospital thing.
"Yes, I already booked our flight so no excuses. We would be leaving on the third flight" he said seriously.
I swallowed "I'm sorry Ken, but I can't make it there. My brother just came..."
He huffed "shut up Annabel! You shouldn't be making silly stories up, you have no brother"
I made to explain, but he spoke before me "We have a flight to catch, be here on time. You disappoint me, then I might be going to the police myself to report on how you refused to follow me for a checkup. I'm the one playing now, meet me at the airport tomorrow by twelve" he said and before I could speak again, he ended the call on me.
I threw down the phone and began to weep. Not sure if it was because of the message I had received last night or because I was now playing to Ken's rule, I wasn't sure of the main reason, but I just cried.

Don't forget to leave your votes and comments. I will still ask again, what do you think Ken sent to her on the previous night and why do you think Sean was surprised when he saw her?

If you want me to check out your story, don't forget to vote, comment and share.