TWELVE

I tried my best to remove my mind from both Ken and Anna as I prepared for the presentation and with the help of Lucy, I left the room booming with smiles.
"Rachel" Mr Miles called as I left the room after shaking Mr Park, rushing to remove the stiletto I was on.

I turned and smiled at him "Mr Miles" and stopped.
He walked up to me, face full of smiles "that was a perfect job you did in there" he said happily

I bent my head to hide my face that was about to turn bright red. I wasn't used to compliments. "Thank you, it was all help to Lucy though"
He nodded "Lucy?" He asked "I will see that both of you are treated properly"

My heart skipped, I hadn't meant to put her into trouble. "No sir, I didn't mean it that way. She didn't leave her work to..."
He raised up his palm, frowning deeply then he burst into laughter.
"Calm down Rachel" he just said "you really made the postponement worth the while, so I from today Lucy is to join your team and you'll receive worth half of your salary added to your present one"

It took me all my home training not to shout out, but out of excitement I did hug him. It was when he cleared his throat I released him and apologized, not sorry at all. Then as I turned to leave he called me and said
"You look really good today Rachel" he said.
My face finally gave me out, I could feel it turn red. I turned after thanking him and ran to my office clapping and dancing. One person was just on my mind to call, so I did.
"Hey Baby!" I screamed once he picked the call "guess what?"
Josh sounded surprised. It wasn't his fault, he had stood outside my house for three house yet I refused to see him "what's going on?"
"My salary was just increased. The presentation was a bomb!"

"Wow!" He exclaimed. I could see he was glad to have me back and he should be "that's great news babe, we got to celebrate that!"
I laughed "of course, where?"
Without thinking he said "let's have that seafood this evening then"
I immediately agreed, I was about to keep down the phone when Lucy rushed into the office.
"Guess what Rachy!!" She cried as she ran into the room.
I jumped up and ran to her, then hugged her "I know Lucy, I know".
She hit me at my back " you devil, you refused to tell me first"
I laughed "I am grateful to you"
Lucy pulled away "don't say that, I am indebted to you now"
I waved her off "you never are"
"You told Mr Miles that I helped you, not a lot of people can do that"
I sank into my seat, kicking off the stilettos "I didn't do that" I lied. "We have a lot of cameras around. He must have seen that himself"
She eyed me "it seems a lot of people saw when this human camera detailed everything to Mr Miles" she said
I laughed "welcome to my team, Lucy Apple"
She laughed cheerfully "don't call me that" then she stopped and stared at me "you are so sweet Rachel, you don't deserve anything less than the best. Anna, Ken, Carlos, Steve and Ben. They don't deserve you"

I bent my face hiding my tears, "you are the best friend I have and I love you so much. I would stick out my head for you in anything" I said honestly
She stood up and walked over to me, then hugged me tightly, "I love you too dear"

Ken's POV

I really don't know how many hours it was that I lay down there with Jeremy beside me. Knowing the kind of person I was, he took care of me till I woke up. He knew being anywhere close to the hospital was going to freak me out of my shell.
"Hey hun" I heard a familiar voice say, that was when I knew that my head was on someone's laps.
"Mum?" I said weakly, shooting an angry glance at Jeremy.
"Before you go there, Jeremy didn't call me" she said "he was here looking after you when I came"
I smiled finally at Jeremy who made a face at me.
"Both of you are birds of a feather, he wouldn't call me" mum accused us.

Jeremy fought the urge not to laugh. He just stood up and rubbed his cloth to strengthen it, then said "I got to go now Mrs Alsina. Call me when he freaks out again"
I made to stand up to hit him but Mum pushed back my head gently, so Jeremy got away grinning widely.

When he left, My let me sit up by myself.
"What are you going to do?" She asked worriedly.
I shrugged and stood up, my head was throbbing. So I took two pills of aspirin.
"You can skip work you know, you are sick" Mum said, as if convincing me that I was indeed sick.
I smiled "this would be the third time this week. I will be sacked, I just passed out due to shock. I'm fine now"

Mum frowned "you just took aspirin Ken, you need some time to think over what's going on"
I turned to face her almost glaring at her "I ain't thinking over a damn thing, she can go naked crying at the white house over how I raped her. I didn't do it. As far my headache, a cold bath will do the miracle"
Mum stood up "this is getting out of hand Ken, the other day she called cops on you and today she is on news with your picture. You need to think on what to do next or who knows what her next plan will be"

I ran a hand through my head "I am just as clueless of what to do as you are Mum, I just want to ignore her. That child might not be mine for all I know, she is a promiscuous woman and..."
"Why then did you get involved with her!" Mum yelled "you got yourself involved in this mess!"

I stared at her surprised " mum?"
"You're now famous because of accusation of rape. Get outside and let me see if you would still be able to walk with your head high"
"Mum?"
"She is bent on destroying you and from the looks of it, she will soon succeed. You need to man up to her, if she says she is pregnant for you, find out first if the baby is yours. That is the first, find that out before you know what next step to take"
I stared at her "what?"
"If you find that baby is not yours, then you will step aside and we'll do this woman to woman!"
Suddenly I felt hope fill my heart, but what if the baby was mine. The probability was higher. I was smiling when I saw a car which I knew only too well park outside my house, I was too angry to move.
" are you okay son?" Mum asked moving closer to hold me, my hands tightened into a fist. Before she reached me, my door flew open and the woman of my nightmare stepped in.

"Hey lover boy, hey Momma" she sang as we beheld her. Mum froze.