Chapter 8

After wiping my mouth with toilet roll, I stood up and walked out of the bathroom. How I loved these mornings.

An hour later I had completely organised myself for the day and I thought mentally prepared myself to tell my family.

I placed my hand on the door handle to leave but I couldn't bring myself to pull it down and step outside.

What was I thinking?

I couldn't face them; my dad would kill me and I'd be an embarrassment to my grandparents. My mom birthed me young, she was 15 and her parents kicked her out for it. Would mine abandon me again?

Tears puddled in my eyes as I began to realise what I'd done.

I drew my hand back to my side, staring at the door with terror as if it'd just killed everyone I loved, which was only a small about of people which made it worse.

The issue with what I did: putting things off until you can no longer, is that all the emotions hit you at once. A whole week of fear and worry slaps you in the face and falls on your shoulders at once.

I stumbled back against the wall and began to sob loudly. I bought my hands to my forehead, trying to allow myself to think but my thoughts were clouded with nightmares and worries which caused me to scream out in desperation and anger.

"Stupid cow!" I yelled at myself, grabbing a vase from wooden shoe cupboard near the door. I clutched it in my hand for a few seconds before throwing it against the wall, which caused it to shatter into a million pieces. Shards of the coloured glass flew across the room, one grazing against my cheek bone. I gripped my face, dropping my head back against the wall as o regretted all decisions I had made over the past week and a half. I let out another frustrated scream.

A heavy knock came from the door before me. I stared at it, through the blurred window I saw the shape of a man and prayed he couldn't see my shape back.

He was too muscular to be my dad, too tall to be my grandad, he didn't stand the same as my cousin or any of his friends who may stop by. "Mads." Ross voice boomed, knocking again.

I froze, standing with my back against the wall, afraid that if I moved it would give away my position. "Maddy I can see you." He said.

"Then take the hint and go!" I ordered, not allowing any more tears to fall from my eyes.

"Your Dad told me to get your keys, said he wants me to lock up later."

"Then come back later!"

"Why would I make two trips?" He scoffed.

"Then I'll drop them off."

"It's not like you to be helpful." He chuckled. "... Maddy, is everything okay in there?"

"Everything's fine, Ross, please just go away." I wiped my tears from my face with the sleeve of my jacket. "Now Ross!"

The handle tugged down and the door slowly pushed open. I ran at it, crashing into it causing it to slam shut. "Are you deaf?!"

"No but I'm almost as stubborn as you, now let me in." He demanded, pushing against the door.

I reached for my keys which were sitting on top of my coat which was folded over the shoe cupboard so that I could lock the door.

"Mads, move away from the door because I'm coming in and I'd like to minimise the chance of you getting hurt." He said. "You know I'm getting in, I'm easily stronger than you."

Quickly, I wiped my tears and blew upwards on my face in attempt to dry any streams of wetness and shrink my puff eyes. I stepped away from the door and stood against the wall by my stairs which faced it.

Ross leant against the door, pushing it open and stepping inside. "Was that so hard?" He laughed.

"Here." I said, unclipping the garage key and tossing it to him which he caught. "You can go now." I walked into my living room, straightening out the blanket which I had folded over the back of the couch.

"Not until I know you're okay." Ross said, following me in.

"I'm fine, clearly." I said.

"You've been crying." He stated.

"Have not." I retorted. "I don't cry."

"Well me neither but titanic sure as hell got me." He said in an over the top girly voice, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"I told you, I don't-"

"Black eyes are a clear give away." He stated, causing me to wipe my under eyes. "So out with it."

"Since when were my problems any of my business?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Is it the baby?"

"If I say yes will you stop talking?" I snapped, crinkling my fingers in frustration.

"Maybe." He shrugged, flicking on the kettle. "If you further explain."

"Ross, I'm going out and you need to leave." I said, marching over to him and flicking off the kettle.

"Don't you need to clean up all that glass first?" He asked, looking into the hallway and turning the kettle back on.

"Shouldn't you be at work?"

"Shouldn't you be telling your folks about little miss or mr foetus?" Ross retorted, leaning over me with the intention of making me feel small.

"I don't get intimidated." I said, stepping around him. "I intimidate."

"Well I find you very intimidating." He smirked, his eyes following me.

"Ross." I warned.

"So why can't you tell your folks?" He asked, leaning over the counter to get closer to me.

"Why the hell would I tell you?"

"Because I won't leave until you do."

I glared at him with frustration but I knew he was right. No matter how hard I tried he wouldn't leave.