Chapter 60

My eyes opened after I'd squeezed them shut throughout the impact. We had stopped moving a few minutes ago but only now had I managed to force them open.

Looking around at where we were my heart beat sped up, so much I feared it would pump out of my chest.

"Dad?" I questioned, looking over at him. His eyes were shut and I couldn't see him breathing. I dropped his hand which fell to his side as I tried to unbuckle my belt but it was jammed. "Dad!"

Something slammed against my window, causing me to jump. I looked over and through the transparent glass I saw Ross, he looked in with terror and worry in his eyes.

I looked back at him with the same expression, Ross tried to pull on the door handle, tugging at it with all its strength but it wouldn't open.

I turned in my seat, every movement I made hurt my body but there was too much adrenaline running through my blood for me to care. I pulled the head rest of my seat off and slammed it against the window but I was too weak right now for it to make an impact.

"Hold on!" Ross yelled, stepping back and looking around. He picked up a branch which must have fallen off one of the trees on the way down.

He gestured for me to cover myself which I did. I pulled my arms over my body and around my head, cowering away from the window in my seat.

I heard one crack and on the second a smash as the window shattered, shard of glass entering the car and falling on to my lap, I pushed it off and looked to Ross.

"Come on." He ordered.

"I can't, the seatbelt's jammed." I replied.

Ross leaned inside the car, grabbing a hold of the leather seat belt and giving it a sharp tug which ripped it out of the buckle.

The sound of sirens came closer and closer and I felt relief leave my body which was instantly thrown away as the bonnet sparked a small fire.

"Hurry, get out." Ross ordered, reaching his hands into the car.

"No." I refused. "We have to get my dad out."

I turned into my seat, unplugging his seatbelt which came out easier before placing my hands on his face. "Please wake up."

His eyes opened and he looked at me before looking around.

"Maddy!" Ross yelled from outside.

"Dad we have to go." I said.

"Go, I'm right behind you." He said in an authoritative and rushed tone.

I turned back to Ross, wrapped my arms around his neck as Ross snaked his around my waist and he pulled me out as my dad pushed me. I looked back to see that my dad still hadn't moved.

"Ross get her out of here!" Dad yelled.

"What are you going?" I questioned, my eyes filling fast as Ross tugged at my waist. "Get out of the car."

"I can't Maddy." He said. "I'm trapped."

Only now had I noticed his legs stuck under the steering wheel, unable to shift. My eyes widened and I pushed out of Ross's hold before he captured me again. A crackle came from the engine and the spark turned into a full blown fire.

"Ross get off me!" I yelled, as he hoisted me into the air. "Dad!"

I smacked Ross's arm which was wrapped around me and kicked my legs out, trying to escape him but I couldn't.

An ambulance, fire engine and police car passed us both and Ross finally put me down. "Stop it!" He yelled, holding me against a tree.

"Get off me!" I shouted, slapping his face and trying to get around him. "If he dies, it's on you."

"And if you die it's on me." He said, standing in my way again. "I'm not having your life on my consciousness."