Chapter 11

"You know Maddy, I do love you." Dad said, pulling up. "I know I don't always tell you but I do."

"I know Dad." I smiled.

"And I know I'm harsh on you but that's because I don't want you slacking, like I did. You're a bright girl, the world is at your feet you just gotta taken that first step and see where you end up."

I smiled, I knew he loved me and I knew he was proud of me but it was nice to hear him say it, so nice that I decided I couldn't lie to him anymore. "Dad," I sighed. "I have to tell you something."

"Sure."

"I'm.. well I'm.." I stuttered, finding it harder than I had expected and wishing my spontaneous confession had never happened. "I'm pregnant."

His eyes widened before his jaw stiffened, not many people knew him like I did but I could always tell what he was thinking by his face. "What?"

His fists clenched by his sides as he stared at me, into my soul as rage radiated off him.

"I'm pregnant Dad." I said.

"Who the hell did this?"

"That's not important-"

His hand swiped across the car and he grabbed the collar of my shirt, pulling my closer to him. "Of course it matters Madeline! I'll kill that bastard and you after!"

"Well I'm not going to tell you!"

"Do I know him?" He asked.

"I'm not telling you." I repeated.

He released my shirt, flicking me back against the window. "It's that Will kid isn't it? Asking me to check him out and all that time you've been spending with him?"

Before I had time to reply he was out of the car and storming over to my side. He tore the door open, almost ripping it off its hinges with the force and speed.

"Get out!" He bellowed.

"It's not him!" I yelled.

"Don't lie to me Madeline! I thought I raised you better than that!" He shouted.

"You didn't raise me at all, Ian and Gale raised me!" I screamed.

"Oi!" My mum snapped, running over to us. "What's going on you're making my punters worry."

"Our Maddy's gone and got herself up the duff." He said, glaring at me.

"Oh babe tell me he's joking?" She sighed.

I looked to the floor, unable to face them.

"Get out of the car before I drag you by your hair!" He yelled.

"Eh, you'll do no such thing!" My mum exclaimed.

"Ay, whoa, steady now," My grandad, Ian, said speed walking over. "Everyone calm down."

"Don't have time for calm, I've got someone to kill." My Dad said, roughly grabbing my arm and pulling me from my seat.

"That's hardly fresh news." My mum said. "Who's the Dad?"

"The Dad?" Ian questioned.

"The man I'm killing. Do me a favour and keep her here." My Dad ordered, throwing me into my mum and grandpa before shoving the door shut and getting in his side and speeding off.

"Oh babe, who's done this to you?" Mum asked.

"Done what? Can someone please tell me what's going on?" Ian pleaded.

"Later, I promise, but right now he's going after the wrong guy." I said. "Mum, can I borrow your car keys?"

"Forget that I'm coming."

"Well I'm driving." I protested.

"Deal." She said, tossing me the keys as we ran to her land rover in the car park.

"Then I guess I'll come along and be peace keeper, as usual." Ian said, following us. Grandad was a good guy, he knew everyone around town and was a respected man, despite his last name, he was the kindest one of us and most reasonable.

* * *

Speeding along the country lanes that lead out of the main village and to the farm at almost double the speed limit, we finally arrived.

Instantly I saw my dad, standing over what looked like a dead body, I prayed I was wrong.

"Dad!" I yelled, running over.

"Whoa!" Josh exclaimed, hopping off the hail bales and running over to me, preventing me from getting any closer as he blocked me.

"Dad it's not him!" I screamed. "Will is just a friend, it's not him!"

"Oi!" Ross yelled, jogging out from inside the house that was located on the property and almost tackling my dad before he swung a crow bar at Ross head which scraped against his cheek bone. Josh leapt at Ross who instantly floored him.

"Everybody stop!" A man yelled, sprinting out from the house with his arms up in the air, surrendering. "Take what you want, please just don't hurt my family."

"We're not thugs." Ian said in a panicked voice, stepping around the chaos and over to the peace wheedling man.

"At least not today anyway." My Dad spat.

"I told you it wasn't him!" I snapped, pushing past him and dropping to my knees beside Will who had blood pouring out of his nose and ears, cuts on his lips and cheek. He clutched his stomach and looked up at me.

"I'm okay." He chocked.

"You're lucky to be." My Dad snapped.

"What's going on here?" The man asked.

"Your son knocked up my daughter." My Dad spat.

"Dad, it's not true." Will said from the floor.

"I told you, it's not him. Why won't you believe me?" I hissed, standing up.

"Because you're a dirty little slapper who dropped her knickers so quickly she ended up getting pregnant."

My mum tapped on his shoulder, my dad turned around to be met by her fist, not her palm, her fist.

"We're not ones to talk." She spat before turning to her car and walking away.

"Then who's the Dad?" My Dad asked, stabling his jaw.

"You think I'd tell you after this?" I scoffed.

His eyes met Ross's before stepping forward. "And it's not him either." I said, standing up and in front of him.

"You think I'm going to believe a tart like you?" He spat.

"Hey, you want a matching one of those?" Ross threatened, referring the punch he had just received.

"Try it." He scowled with a deadly look in his eye. Both men stepped forward, boxing out their shoulders and squaring up. I looked back to see Ross's dad holding him back.

"No more violence." Ian said in a calm and tired voice. "We've bought enough to this farm and the girl doesn't need any more trauma."

"Oh I haven't even started yet." My dad said through gritted teeth. "Get in the car."

"She's not going anywhere with you, you're a psycho." Ross spoke up.

"But I'm here Dad." He hissed. "Car, now, I won't ask again."

"Look, I'm sorry pal, I get you're angry but I don't think she's safe with you right now." Will said, standing up.

"Oh, you don't, do you?" He asked before throwing another punch at his face which knocked him to the ground again.

"Tom!" Ian yelled, rushing over to him and dragging him off the property.