Chapter 7

I was restless even though I was exhausted.
I couldn't sleep although I was tired.
My mind raced although I had no thoughts.
My eyes wouldn't shut although they were heavy.

I gave up with sleep and threw the covers off me before marching down the stairs, grabbing a coat and wrapping it around me.

Locking the door behind me, I wondered the village. The sound of my footsteps on the empty concrete street echoed into the night.

Car lights trailed along the floor and the black jeep pulled up beside me. "Morning." Will called out the window of the vehicle.

"Morning?" I questioned.

"It's two am." He grinned.

"Seriously?" I asked, checking my watch.

"How long you been out here?" He asked.

"Not long." I said. "Couldn't sleep, whats your excuse?"

"Sheep down at the farm are having babies, I just finished my shift." Will explained. "Get in, you look freezing."

"That's the point, it's supposed to be easier to sleep when you're cold." I replied.

"How's that working out for you?" He called to me out the window with a wide grin on his face.

I scoffed, pulling the door open and climbing into before pressing the button to make the window go up. "Are you hungry?" I asked.

"Always." He grinned. "What are you in the mood for?"

I shrugged.

"McDonald's?" He questioned.

"You just delivered lambs and now you want meat?" I exclaimed with a laugh.

"It's not lamb, I'm a burger guy." He said proudly.

"I'm actually vegetarian." I stated. "But I'm easily in the mood for a strawberry milkshake with fries."

"Please tell me you're not one of those people-"

"That dips the fry into the milkshake." I nodded with a sick smile on my face.

"Ugh." He groaned which caused me to laugh the most hideous laugh you could ever imagine.

"That's a nice laugh you got there."

"Oh god." I groaned, turning redder than a baboon butt. I attempted to cover it with my hands but they were so small I managed only my cheeks.

"I like it." He said, pulling my hands away.

"Look, Will, at the moment, I'm the definition of damaged goods." I explained. "You don't have to keep acting interested now you know-"

"It's not acting." He said.

I smiled. "I'm giving you your one and only chance to get out without me being offended."

"I don't want it, sure it's not ideal but it doesn't bother me, I like you and that's all that matters." He said. "So McDonalds it is then?"

"Indeed."

* * *

"So what are you wearing under that hideously mysterious trench coat?" Will asked.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know Ross came with us." I gasped, placing a hand over my chest.

"I mean, I can see what I hope is your pyjama trouser leg with cow faces on them poking out at your ankle." He smirked.

I laughed, undoing my coat to reveal a matching top. "Don't look." I whispered, covering its eyes as Will devoured a Big Mac.

Our laughter soon died down. "So, what are you going to do about this baby then?"

"Can we not talk about it." I sighed, swirling my fry around the milkshake.

"Maddy you have to talk about it some time." He said with kind blue eyes which I could stare into for an eternity. "Why not with me?"

"I hardly know you." I replied. My best idea was to put it off until it became so obvious I had to face up to it, I didn't want to talk about it with anyone, especially Will.

"Well I'm trying to get to know your, you're not exactly an open book." Will said.

I glared our the window, he was right. I've never opened up to anyone before and I didn't intend on doing it now. "But I'll wait." He said, placing a hand on my knee. "As long as it takes."

"What about you?" I asked, changing the conversation. "Why did you move here?"

"Family." He said. "My sister, Annabelle, works in the nearby hotel, my dad owns the farm-"

"So that's why you got a job so easy." I grinned. "I knew no one was that good."

He shrugged. "Connections are a gift."

"You're telling that to the girl who has family scattered all over the village." I scoffed.

"Speaking of, when did your lot arrive here?"

"Centuries ago by the sounds of it." I laughed. "My grandparents have lived here all their lives and their parents too."

"Gale and Ian, right?" He questioned.

"How'd you know?"

"I may have asked about you."

"Good things I hope?" I questioned, raising a brow.

"Well you Kingsley's don't exactly have the best rep do you?" He asked.

"I suppose but that's mainly down to my dad." I replied, finishing my fries.

"From what I heard you're not exactly an angel yourself." Will scoffed.

"I was raised not to handle any bullshit and to speak my mind, sometimes that gets me into trouble." I answered. "But I can always back myself up."

"What are you, a boxing champ?" He laughed.

"Course not." I chuckled. "But growing up as a Kingsley's ain't easy, the name carries you and you soon learn."

I realised I'd said too much, more than I wanted to tell him. "We should get back." I said. "It's late and I have a busy day tomorrow."

"Telling your folks about the-"

"Yeah." I replied, cutting in, barely able to hear it never mind say it.