Chapter 4

"Eh, hem!" Lola exclaimed, making herself known. "Am I interrupting?"

"No." I replied, pushing Ross's chest away and slipping out from underneath him. "Ross has something to say to you."

"No I don't." He scoffed. I crossed my arms and glared at him. "This annoying controlling thing you're doing may work with Will but not me." He said, glaring at me before walking into the office.

"What was that about?" She asked.

"Don't worry about it." I sighed. "Did you get it?"

"You seem awful concerned for someone who is so sure they're not-"

"Don't say it, just give it me." I ordered.

"Interview was great by the way." She said in a sarcastic tone, pulling the test out of her bag and slapping it into my hand.

"What the hell is this?" My Dad asked, trudging through the pebbles up the driveway to the garage.

"I um.."

"She's holding it for me." Lola said. "My Dad would kill me if he saw it."

"A good father would." He said. "You two are seventeen!"

"Dad!" I scolded.

"I mean, I hope the results are what you're hoping for." He said awkwardly before walking deeper into the mist of cars.

I burst through the door, shoving the packaged stick into my bag and zipping it up. Ross glared down at me.

"For a friend." I said, stepping out of my overalls and hanging them up before swinging my bag over my shoulder and marching out with Lola.

* * *

Will's POV:

"Did you say anything Ross like to Madeline today?" I asked Ross who was sprawled across the couch, glaring at the TV and occasionally checking his phone.

"Why?" He asked, sitting up.

"She's not replying to my texts." I said. "Maybe I should go round there."

"Yes because girls love clingy guys."

"That was a test and you failed." I said.

"Oh no just like high school." Ross gasped, smirking after to show his lack of concern. "Oh wait, no it isn't because that was sarcasm genius, thought you would of picked up on that considering you are the smart brother."

"Why do you even care Ross?"

"You asked." He shrugged. "And with a girl like her you'll be asking a lot."

"A girl like her?"

"She's one of those girls that plays hard to get." He said. "If you think she's difficult now, you've got no idea mate."

"Whats that supposed to mean?"

"I was with her for an hour and in that time she almost cracked my head in with a spanner when I made her jump and I saw her stuffing a pregnancy test into her bag."

"You're lying."

"What reason would I have to lie?"

"Because you want me to mess up so you can have her."

Suddenly, I'd sparked his attention, his head snapped away from the TV and he glared at me. "Wrong, as usual farm boy." He said.

"Am I?" I questioned.

He shrugged with a smirk.

I knew he liked her too but he was too stubborn to admit it which left me with a perfect opportunity. Part of me wanted to step back and let him have her, he'd never chased a girl before and I figured it'd do him good but he'd only mess things up for them and for us.

Madeline's POV:

The next morning I took the test, I'd managed to put it off for a whole night but couldn't any longer and of course once I told Lola I was going to take it there was no stopping her. "So, it's been five minutes. What does it say?" Lola asked.

"I think we should leave it another minute." I said.

"You said that a minute ago." She sighed. "I get it, you're scared-"

"I'm not scared." I snapped, standing up and snatching the stick from the baths side.

My eyes widened and I looked up, meeting her intrigued and worried ones. "I'm pregnant." I said.

I wished the ground would swallow me whole, suck me into an eternity of a simple life but my life has never been simple.

I thought of abortion straight away but then my mind bought up memories of the past, of my childhood: Dumped, ditched, kicked out, alone.

I wasn't ready to be a mother but I wasn't ready to be a murderer either.