Chapter 64

"Babe?" Mum questioned, running over to me. "What's wrong?"

"What if he doesn't make it?" I sobbed, throwing my arms around her in a hug.

"He will Babe." She said. "Your dads a strong man. He's crawled out of hell before."

"But can he escape death?"

"Of course he can, he's escaped worse." She laughed.

"What am I going to do without him?" I cried.

"You won't have to think like that." She said.

"Maddy?" Will questioned. "Is he okay?"

"He wants to talk to you." I said. "And you."

Will and Ross exchanged looks before walking past my mum and I and into the room.

Tom's POV:

"Ah, dumb and dumber." I scoffed, sitting up in my bed as the boys walked in.

"You're one to talk, lying to Maddy isn't a smart move." Ross laughed.

"She can hardly be mad at me when I'm on deaths door." I said.

"Maybe that'll work for me then, she still wants my head on a stick for not helping you."

"About that," I shifted in the bed, causing myself pain which I masked. "Thank you, if you listened to her I don't know what would of happened to her. She needs someone like you, to tell her what's best for her rather than letting her decided because she makes bad decisions."

"Does that mean I finally get your approval?" Ross smirked, sitting down.

"Still think he's better off with her." I said, looking at Will. "But you'll do."

"Is there a point to this little meeting?"

"I can still beat you into next week." I snapped.

I looked to Will, over the time he'd spend with Maddy he'd been accepted into the family and I'd learnt to trust him with Maddy. "How is she?"

"Terrified." Will said. "But she's strong, she'll make it through this."

"She is." I agreed. "I wish I was half the person she was. Not that I can take much credit for it, I wasn't there for much of her growing up, always in and out of prison, and that is my biggest regret." I sighed. "Which I why I asked you two in here, I promised her I'd never leave her again but just in case anything goes wrong, I need to know you two will be there for her, take care of her."

"Oh I'll take real good care of her." Ross smirked.

"And if he steps out of line, do what I would do." I told Will, glaring at Ross.

"Kill him?" Will scoffed.

"Exactly."

"Gladly."

"Hey, I'm feeling a little ganged up on here." Ross stated with a grin.

"Mr Kingsley? Are you ready for your surgery?" A nurse said, walking into the room.

Maddy's POV:

The nurse wheeled him outside on his bed and he looked at me. I couldn't believe this was the last time I could be seeing him. "I love you." I said.

He smiled, squeezing my hand before they pushed him away.

I turned to Ross, melting in his arms and sobbing into his chest.

* * *

"Look who I bought." Gale announced, carrying Lilli into my hospital room.

Dad was still in surgery and I practically pounced on every nurse that passed us.

I smiled, taking her from Gale.

"What's everyone doing?" She asked.

"I sent them home." I replied.

"Really? Well they're all standing in the waiting room." She said.

"Tell Ross and Will to go home, I'm fine and they don't need to stay." I ordered.

She nodded, heading back out of the room.

I looked down at Lilli, propping her up against my legs. "You know that old scary man that looks after you sometimes?" I questioned, placing with her hands. "Well he's very important to me and I don't know if he's going to be back."

I looked around the empty room. "Why I'm telling you this I have no idea? You can't even understand me, which I suppose is why I'm actually telling you- you won't even remember me crying by tomorrow."

"But I will." Ross said from the doorway. "You don't have to hide."

"I told you to go home." I said, wiping my tears quickly.

"And I told you that I don't follow your rules like golden boy Will." He retorted.

I sighed, stroking Lilli's small amount of blonde hair. "Can you take Lilli home? I don't want her to see me like this."

"I'll get someone to take her home." He said. "Because I'm not leaving."

"You're so stubborn." I told him.

"I believe that's your thing, I'm just irritating." He smirked, taking Lilli from my arms and carrying her out.