Chapter 6

Vomiting became apart of my daily routine, it happened at least twice a day and for the next week I took a pregnancy test each day, the results were all positive: I was definitely pregnant.

Sat in the garage I ticked off all the cars we had mended today. "I'm done, can I get off now?" Ross asked.

"Let me check your stuff." I said, tapping the pen against the clipboard.

"Okay but remember you asked for it." Ross grinned, pulling the zip down on his overalls.

"Not that stuff." I said quickly, grabbing his hand to stop him from pulling the zip down any further.

For a moment we just looked into each other's eyes and for a split second I felt a release from all this pregnancy stuff. Quickly, I realised what was going on and removed my hand but he grabbed it back before I quickly ripped it away again. "Ross-"

"I know, brothers girl and all." He said.

"Speaking of, have you spoke to Will?"

"No, he's only my brother and we live in the same house but we don't talk." Ross said in a sarcastic tone.

"I mean about me? He hasn't really said much to me since the other day." I said, glancing at the clock and pulling some paracetamol out from my pocket.

"He texted you like ten times, then found out you were pregnant, you might want to think about texting him back." Ross said.

I nodded, swallowing the pills.

"You okay?"

"I just get headaches now, another perk of being... well you know." I said, perching on the edge of the desk.

"I'm not doctor or anything but if you're going to have this baby shouldn't you at least be able to say the word pregnant."

"I can say it." I scoffed.

"Then say it."

"Pregnant." I replied.

"Now tell you're it." He smirked.

"We should really double check your work." I said quickly, picking up the clipboard and hopping off the desk.

I placed my hand on the doorknob but Ross's hand slammed against the wooden door above my head. "Yes?" I turned around to see him closer than I expected.

"I know I can be what some people perceive as a jerk but if you need to talk about any of this stuff then, well, you know where to find me." He said.

"I don't perceive you as a jerk Ross." I smiled. "More as an arrogant, loud mouth dickhead."

"Cheers." He scoffed, standing up straight and removing his hand from the door.

"But thank you." I said. "You're a good friend."

I could see that word struck him in the heart, he flinched slightly, batting his eye lids harshly together and nodding.

I walked out and double checked the work he had done on the two cars. Approaching the third, I began to feel dizzy, more than usual.

Ignoring it, I shoved the keys in the engine and pulled them out a few seconds after, hearing the engine rumble smoothly as the first stage of the test. Getting out of the car, I got a sudden head-rush that caused me to clutch to the door to remain stably on my feet.

"You okay Mads?" Ross asked.

"How many times have I told you not to call me that?" I laughed.

"Would you prefer princess?" He scoffed.

"Guess not." I said, letting out an airy laugh as I stood up straight, releasing a deep breath.

"Are you okay?" He repeated.

"I'm fine." I told him, taking a step which felt like my foot went straight through the floor and continued.

Ross caught me in his arms, pulling me closer to his chest as I regained my balance. "Clearly not." He said.

"I'm just dizzy." I told him.

"That's a symptom of early pregnancy." Ross said.

"How would you know?" I laughed, rubbing my head which spun faster than a roundabout.

"Google."

"You researched it." I scoffed.

"Well I want to know what my boss's daughter is going through and lucky for me another is mood swings." He explained with laughter. "You should let me take you home."

"And have people asking questions? No way." I said. "I have to tell people when I'm ready."

"And I get that but-"

"No Ross." I snapped.

"That's not what this is about, is it?" He asked.

"I just..." I sighed, looking up and into his deep brown eyes. "I'm eight days pregnant Ross, eight days, if I can't handle the first week then how am I going to handle nine months?"

"The first weeks are the hardest." He said. My eye brows furrowed at his knowledge of the situation. "Google."

I laughed. "You're not a arrogant, loud mouth dickhead." I said. "Just a loud mouth and a slight dickhead."

"And you feel better?" He asked.

"I feel fine." I told him, pushing off his body and standing firmly on my own two feet. "Moment of weakness, won't happen again."