Chapter 9

Rick walked into the restauraunt and straight towards Jennifer who was already seated in a booth reading from a menu. When she noticed him she smiled and put down the menu.

He stared at her smile as he walked to her. God would he ever get enough of it?

"Hey, where's Joseph?" Jennifer asked as Rick sat down.

Rick leaned forward and smiled, "He met his friends as we went back to the car, they offered him a ride, he took it."

"Oh" she frowned. It bothered him that she was frowning for Joseph. "He left without saying anything?" 

"He said to tell you it was nice to meet you and that he hopes to see you around, he was going to come in but his friends were in a rush to leave."

"Are you sure he's gonna be okay with his friends? I mean he said he was camping with friends and look what happened,"

"Jennifer, he'll be fine."

"Yea but-"

"He's a grown man! He'll be fine, would you stop worrying about him!"

Jennifer blinked back.

"Whoa, what's with the attitude, is it so wrong that I worry about people?" she said.

"Yes, considering you just met him and don't know anything about him!" he responded.

"Oh, kinda like how you didn't know anything about me but you worried about getting me to my aunt, or how I don't know anything about you and I just met you?"

"That's different."

"Not it's not! It's the same exact thing!" she raised her voice.

"Lower your voice!"

"Can I get ya'll something to drink?" a waitress suddenly asked.

"Coke, burger and fries," Jennifer said never leaving Ricks eyes, "To go." She got up and walked out of the diner.

Rick watched her leave and then looked at the waitress.

"I'll have the same. To go. Thank you." He surprised himself by thanking her. Jennifer was starting to take affect on him.

The waitress smiled and walked away. Rick looked out the window to see Jennifer sitting in the car, her arms folded across her chest grumpily.

Jennifer sat in the car quietly and watched as Rick made his way out of the diner and into the car. 

"That little scene you just made was completely unneccesary." He said handing her her food.

"So was your attitude."

"Just eat your food and be quiet."

He started the car, pulled out of his parking spot and began driving.

"Don't boss me around like that," Jennifer broke the silence after a while.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, don't boss me around like that anymore, you seem to think that because you're older than me that you have authurity over me or something. Don't forget, we just met, you're not my father, my brother, or my boyfriend. We're perfect strangers, literally. You won't tell me anything about you, and you barely know me except what I've told you. Don't get it twisted. Don't think you have the right to tell me what I can and can't wear, who I can and can't talk to, and how I can or can't speak."

He waited a few moments before he answered.

"Are you done" he asked casually.

"Yes, and if you don't take into acount everything I just said, so are we."

Again he didn't speak for a while, and then Jennifer spoke up.

"We have got to stop arguing like this. You need to ease up a bit. We will not survive this road trip if we can't tolerate each other and are constantly fighting." she offered.

"You're right. I don't see my faults, perhaps I might've over reacted a bit at the diner, but I'll try to ease up a bit,"

"Thank you."

"Let's do something fun tonight."

"Fun?"

"Yea, let's go bowling."