Chapter 6

Jennifer looked at Rick as he stared back at her, she hesitated for a moment until she found her voice to speak.

"You kissed me, without permission I might add, that proves nothing." She finally said.

"Okay, here." He let go of her and took a small step back and put his hands up in surrender.

"I'm not trying to scare you, or hurt you, in any way."

Jennifer relaxed a bit but couldn't stop the fear beating in her heart.

"Jennifer, please. Come back to the car."

She looked at him but said nothing.

"Please," he whispered. 

When she still didn't answer, he reached out his hand slowly but still she flinched away a bit, and he retreated his hand.

"If you don't want to talk to me, that's fine. If you don't want to look at me, that's fine. But I can't let you go, not until I know you're safe with your aunt."

Still no response from Jennifer.

"Jennifer, trust me."

She looked at him and then down and then back at him. "You take me to my aunt, and then we're done. No talking, no stops, no more shopping. We drive from morning to night."

"Okay."

"At night, you get a hotel with two beds, not one."

"Alright,"

"And you keep your hands off of me. Don't you ever touch, or kiss me again. Got it!" she exclaimed.

He looked at her for a moment, intrigued by her persistance, and then answered. "Okay."

They looked at each other in silence for a few moments until she nodded slowly.

"Let's go." Rick turned around and began walking.

She followed him to the car and got in the passenger seat. Without any exchange of words, they drove off.

For about an hour, they had driven in silence. Finally, the awkward silence had gotten to Jennifer and she couldn't handle it anymore. She reached for the radio and turned it on, tuning the station until it reached her favorite, 92.3 Now.

Rick looked over at her and then back at the road. The song "My Blood" by Ellie Goulding came on, and she turned up the volume. Jennifer gave the song a little smile as it had been her favorite ever since she saw the movie Divergent. She began quietly mumbling the words of the song to herself, trying to go unnoticed.

"That feeling that doesn't go away just did, and I walked a thousand miles to prove it." she began. 

She looked at Rick from the corner of her eye to see if he had noticed, when it seemed he hadn't, she went on.

"Alarms will ring for eternity, the waves will break every chain on me." She raised her voice a little, "My bones will bleach, my flesh will flee. So help my lifeless frame, to breathe."

Suddenly the music had stopped, she looked over at Rick who had turned the volume all the way down.

"Hey!" she said to him.

"Although you sing lovely and I'd love for you to continue, I'd rather you chose another song." he said without looking at her.

"Well you weren't supposed to hear me and I happen to love this song." She said and turned up the volume, this time without singing along.

Again he turned it all the way down.

"Would you stop that!" Jennifer scolded him.

"If you want me to turn on the music, you need to speak with me. I will not have you drown out the rest of the car ride with silence and music mixed with anger."

"First of all, there is no anger in that song, it's a beautiful song. Second,  I said no talking, just driving. Straight through, and you agreed!"  She looked at him in anger.

"I lied."

"What?"

"I needed to get you in the car."

"Are you kidding me!"

"Nope."

"What the hell is the matter with you!"

"Careful," he looked at me an then back at the road, "I am older than you, you should be more respectful."

"And you should be less of an asshole! How dare you! I didn't even want to get in this car with you!" 

"Which is exactly why I had to agree to your terms."

"But you lied!"

"Not on everything."

"Okay, then what did you actually agree to that you weren't lying about!" she crossed her arms over her chest.

He thought for a moment and then said, "No more shopping, I agree on that."

"Wha-" 

He interuppted her, "We'll drive from morning to night, with as little stops as possible. Unfortunetly we are human so we will have to stop for food, bathrooms, gas, all that fun stuff."'

"And?"

"And what."

"What else?"

"That's all."

Jennifer narrowed her eyes at him and said in a serious tone, "The hotels. Two beds. Not. One."

He didn't speak for a few moments but that continued, "We'll see."

"What the hell do you mean we'll see!"

"Again with the disrespect? It's starting to get on my nerves."

"Well that-" she stopped herself realizing she didn't want to fine out what happens if she got on his last nerve. "What do you mean we'll see?"

"I mean I'll think about it. You will need to someone to keep you down while you sleep,"

She was about to yell when she realized it would be better if she tried a softer approach. 

"I appreciate your concern, but I have lived for years, on my own taking care of myself. I can manage to sleep on my own."

"You didn't manage quite well on your own last night."

"I had added teniong since I was sharing a bed with you. My mind had my dreams and you to worry about. Sleeping on my own will at least relax me a bit, even though I'd still know you were in the room." She explained.

He didn't answer for a while, just stared at the road. 

Finally he responded, "We can go on and on, but you know that it's hard for you. And you can't say that you weren't a bit relieved last night when you realized you weren't alone when you woke up. That you had someone there."

Then she didn't answer. She opened her mouth to deny, but then closed it thinking of the possibility. It had been nice not to wake up in the dark on her own and have to scramble to search for the light switch to turn it on. It was nice having someone to talk to and calm her fears as she went back to bed. She had felt safer when she fell asleep again.

Perhaps he was right. She did need him.