Chapter 22

Okay guys, I've decided to just keep writing this story here and not in the sequel:

_________________________________________________________________________________

Standing in the middle of the parking lot, Rick felt his heart drop into his stomach as he watched the grey sedan drive quickly down the street. He stood there, as still as a statue, watching until the car turned, leaving his line of site.

Fuck! She just left with a fucking murderer!

Of all the fucking people she could have run off with, why him? Why did she even leave? Did she not trust him? What the hell happened to last night and the night before? Did she seriously not trust him to keep her safe? Maybe that's what she was thinking over.

He lifted his hands and ran both of them through his hair, letting them settle at the base of his neck. Fuck! Rick started to walk back towards the building, trying to make some sense of his jumbled, almost seemingly irrational thoughts.

He realized very quickly that finding a damn needle in a hay stack would probably be easier than taming his thoughts. See, Rick, this is what happens when shit gets personal. That's why they always told us to keep our emotions out of it. He shook his head. He needed to think. He needed to clear his head. He needed to focus.

I tried. I really did. But there was something about her that just drew me in. She was pure, genuine, but troubled with a past .... I felt a connection.... that connection. The kind of connection I hadn't felt in so long. I had pushed all those feelings and thoughts aside, burying them, thinking I'd never experience them again or meet someone who would make me feel again. Then she just waltzes into my life and, without even trying, she gets under my skin.

Rick paced in front of the main door of the bowling alley trying to figure out his next move. He had no idea where Joey was taking her, what he would do to her, so.... He stopped as images of Jen, brutally chopped up into small, little pieces, lying somewhere in the woods, helpless, flashed through his mind. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes and focused on getting his heart rate and breathing back to normal. This is not going to help Jen. He grabbed his phone and dialed the only person that would be able to help him right now.

"Marshall" His deep, firm voice helped Rick to clear his head a little. "It's Rick. Jennifer's gone. She left with Joey."

Even Rick heard the bit of desperation that leaked out of his voice. A string of curses floated through the phone. Rick would have laughed any other day, in any other situation, but the seriousness and dread that he felt went straight to his heart. He ran his right hand through his hair once more. He couldn't lose her.

"Alright, I am going to talk to my men." came from Marshall.

There was a pause as he spoke with someone in the background. In that pause, Rick's thoughts started to float again once more. "Rick." Once again, his strong voice brought him back to the present. "Take a deep breath, calm down, and get over here."

"Don't tell me to calm down, this guys a murderer, God only knows what he'll do to her or why she left with him... FUCK."

"Just get the fuck over here."

Rick disconnected the call and made his way to the car.