Chapter 25

Rick is driving and has a flashback of the day he met her what happened after she got knocked out

Driving 60 miles per hour, Rick sat in the SUV Marshall lent him listening to music, which was completely unlike him. People like Rick would rather sit in silence especially with this kind of task at hand. Listening to the radio, the song that came on sounded familiar, it was the song he'd heard that day at the bar Jennifer worked at. The day they met, right before he told her to get the waitresses out. It was the radio talk host announced the song as "Near to You" by A Fine Frenzy. Rick smiled as a flashback hit him.

"Marshall no more calls, I'm handling a case."

"Rick don't do this you are not authorized to handle this."

"Marshall don't patronize me! You know this is personal, I have to make sure she doesn't get caught in the crossfire."

"I told you the rangers will take care of it when they get there."

"Marshall, this is happening. Now stop calling, I'm going in there."

"Rick!-"

Rick hung up the phone on his former partner and exited his car and made his way into the bar. Looking over the bar, his eyes searched for the girl he needed to make sure wouldn't get hurt. Finally, in the corner, waiting on some guy with sunglasses was the beautiful, petite Jennifer. She didn't know him, but oh he knew her. He took one more look around and found the men that made him get involved, the pricks that chose the wrong bar to try and place a bomb in. They were the only ones in the bar, all them one group spread out getting ready to strike he noticed.

He made his way over to the stools by the bar and sat in one. He picked up a menu and stared at it, wondering how he should tell her. Normally he'd know exactly how to handle things but as he watched her move, over the top of his menu, all he could think about was her and her safety.

After 10 minutes of staring and thinking, he finally put the menu down and she approached him.

"What can I get you?" she asked.

"All the waitresses out of here, for their safety." was the only thing he could think to say.

"W-what?" Her eyes widened in confusion and shock, but he knew he didn't have much time so he explained the best way he could think.

"Don't look now, but the men sitting behind me are robbers, and they're about to hold you at gunpoint, so unless you want to end up dead, get yourself and all the other waitresses out of here."

Telling her that they were going to rob the bar was the only thing he could think to say as a cover up, rather than really scaring her by telling her that they were about to be held hostage and that a bomb was placed somewhere inside the rusty establishment. 

Without hesitating, or asking anymore questions, she left him and quietly helped clear out all the waitresses from the bar. When it seemed that all the staff had left he got up pulled out his gun and pointed it at one of the men and was about to shoot when he heard feet shuffling behind him, then a thud. He turned to see Jennifer on the floor, and a man standing over her with a broken bottle. 

Rage seething through him he shot the man right away, then the man standing next to him that had began to advance on Rick. He then turned to shoot 2 of the 6 remaining as the rest scrambled to get their guns, Rick quickly grabbed one of them, holding him in a headlock pointing the barrel of the gun at his forehead and the others froze.

"Put your guns down or he dies." Rick spat at them.

"You already shot four of us,"

"If you want to prevent anymore of you dying I suggest you put the gun down."

"Put the gun down Aaron!" The man Rick was holding yelled, afraid for his life.

"Look man I know what this is about, the bomb was a joke okay there is no bomb it was just a threat-" One of the men said, appearing to be the ringleader. 

"It wasn't a very funny joke,"

"Look the guy that owns this bar is an old friend, the money he used to buy this place and turn it into what it is was my money! It was just to scare him into paying me back."

"See here's the thing I don't really care about what fucking reason you had to send that threat, but you all came in here with guns and happened to hurt someone," They all looked past him at Jennifer lying on the ground.

"Okay man we're really sorry, look we'll leave. We didn't mean no harm."

"Too late." Rick shot three of them in a row and the through the last one on the ground before shooting him in the skull. 

He quickly turned to Jennifer, ran over to her and picked her up. Carrying her bridal style he carried her out of the bar and placed her in the passenger seat. Closing the door he knew he'd have to burn any evidence of what he's done. He didn't have the badge that would get him off anymore, so he set fire to the bar. 

After doing so he ran back to the car and turned on the engine, and drove off. Looking over at Jennifer's relaxed and peaceful sleeping face he knew he'd have to act differently when she awoke. 

And he did.