Chapter 20

The morning sun slowly filtered into the quiet room, stretching and yawning, as it crept towards her. She tried to ignore it, mumbling something incoherent, snuggling deeper into her blankets. The blanket was soft and warm and she didn't want to leave her cocoon. The sound of the birds chirping and singing outside seemed to urge her brain to get a move on. She grumbled again because it was working. She was slowly drifting into the world of the living. 

As she lay there contemplating her next move, her thoughts drifted to last night. The pool, the shower, and finally Rick. He was sexy, patient, slow, and knew exactly what she needed and how far to push her. It still amazed her how comfortable she felt with everything. She just gave up her control... but he made her want to give it up. Rick made her want to trust him. He was serious but still cocky. It honestly scared and unnerved her how easy it all seemed to be. Well, how easy it seemed to be last night. 

Shook her head, trying to get out of her thoughts and musings. She was fully awake now. Might was well wake up Mr. Sleepy Head over there. Stretching fully and twisting her body from head to toe as if she were a cat, she turned over but stopped and drew in a quick breath. His side of the bed was empty. She tentatively reached her hand out and placed it down onto the sheets. They were cold. She felt her heart stop and her stomach drop as she continued to stare at the empty spot. Her mind was blank and she just didn't know what to think. Did he leave her?

She sat up in bed, still wrapped in the comforter, and tried to map out her next move. It was proving to be difficult since her thoughts didn't seem to want to cooperate. Her body seemed to be insistently nudging her towards the bathroom. As if in a daze, she went to the bathroom and took care of business. 

Stepping back into the bedroom, she started to pace, trying to think of something. She could just take her stuff and get out of here and ... hitchhike? Would he come after her? Did she care? Just as her plans and thoughts were about to take off, she heard someone at the door. She stopped, turned, and held her breath as the doorknob turned. Rick walked in. He looked up and gave her one of his oh so sexy smiles as if nothing out of the ordinary had just happened. 

"Good morning beautiful, you hungry? I went out and grabbed us some breakfast...?" His voice trailed off, she didn't need to listen to the rest, those words put her in easa, he hadn't left.

"I was hoping to get back before you woke, but I guess I wasn't quick enough." he finished.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying to regain some of her composure. Opening her eyes again, she let a smile slide onto her face as she tried to calm herself as well as him. He approached her then, stopping right in front of her, bending down to place a kiss on her forehead. He let his lips linger as he spoke and she felt a flutter in her stomach at the contact. 

"You smell nice." She could hear the smile in his voice and she let her body relax a little. 

"You were gone when I woke." She paused, not exactly sure how to put the next part without giving away her conflicting emotions. "I wasn't .... I didn't see a note or anything...." She decided to leave it at that, hoping he didn't see right through her, hoping she sounded nonchalant and unfazed by everything.   

He didn't say anything as he walked away from her and towards the bed. He lifted a note that was sitting on his pillow and looked at her, smirking and lifting an eyebrow.