Chapter 8

"This silence is killing me," Jennifer said dryly.

"How are you liking the weather." Rick replied.

She looked at him, he looked at her then back at the road.

"Seriously?" she asked.

"Then you come up with something," he said.

"Well I don't know, what can I ask you about that won't get you angry or you won't yell at me for asking," she said.

"You can ask about the weather."

She groaned, "Seriously this sucks! You're forcing me to go on this stupid road trip with you to take me to my aunt and I don't know a thing about you!"

"You know my name is Rick."

"Rick!" she said in a warning tone.

He snickered, "How about this let's make a deal, tonight, we go for dinner, and we'll play the game again, except this time, you have to answer all of my questions with the truth, whether or not you want to, but I get to skip some of your questions."

"What! That's not fair!"

"Or we could have a silent dinner,"

"Okay fine, but you have to answer a majority of te questions!"

"I'll answer as many as I see fit, so do we have a deal?"

"Whatever." Jennifer looked out the window. "Hey look,"

"What?"

"It's a hitchhiker," she pointed at a man standing beside the highway with his arm out.

He was young, and cute she noticed. He had sandy blonde hair and blue eyes. He was tall and skinny, well built. His white tank top showed off his sexy arms.

"So."

"So pull over,"

"Yea right."

"I mean it, pull over, let's give him a ride!"

"Jennifer, where is your common sense, what if he's a bad guy?"

"Oh please you and I both know that if he were a bad guy you can take him. Besides, I took a chance on you!"

He looked at her then, "Jennifer, we're not going to pick up a complete stranger."

"Yes because that would be crazy, who would we be to do that- Oh wait, that's how we met." She looked at him with angry eyes.

"It's not the same thing."

"Yes it is! If you hadn't forced me on this road trip with you, that would've been me!"

"Maybe, but it's not you." 

They drove past the hitch hiker.

"Are you serious! Rick stop the car, he just needs a ride!"

Rick ignored her and kept driving.

"Rick what if that would've been me! Wouldn't you want two good people to have helped me!" She yelled at him.

He looked at her for a moment and then slammed on the breaks and pulled over and leaned back. 

"If he's not in the car in 5 seconds I'm driving off." He said as he stared straight ahead.

Jennifer smiled, "Thank you!" 

She opened up the car door and  waved to him guestering him to come. The man smiled and ran to them.

"Hey guys, thank you so much for giving me a ride, you have no idea how long I've been walking and waiting!" The man said as he climbed in to the backseat. 

Jennifer closed her door and Rick started the car and they began to drive again.

"No problem," Jennifer smiled at him, "We could use the company, what's you name?"

"Joseph," He held his hand out to her.

"Jennifer," she smiled and shook it.

He held his hand out to Rick, Rick looked at him throught the mirror and then back at the road.

"Driving." Was all he said.

"Oh right, of course, sorry." Joseph put his hand back down.

"Uhm, his name is Rick. He's serious about driving sorry," Jennifer said.

"Hey no problem, I'm just happy you guys picked me up. So, do you guys live around here?" Joseph asked.

"No actually, we're going on a road trip ro see my aunt," Jennifer replied.

"Oh nice, are you guys married, related, friends, or..."

"Uhm," Jen looked at Rick, "We're just friends," She smiled.

Rick looked at her from the corner of his eye and then back at the road.

"Oh cool, I went on a road trip with friends once,"

"Oh yea?"

"Yea, then I ended up on the side of the road, hitch hiking, and then you guys picked me up."

"Oh what happened?"

"I left them, it's a long story, I didn't get along with two of them and I didn't want to stay so I just had to get out of there."

"Oh that sucks, I don't think you should be hanging out with those people anymore."

"Yea I probably won't," he smiled at her.

She smiled back at him.

"Don't mind my asking but, how old are you?" Jennifer asked.

"I'm 21"

"Yea you looked it"

"Yea, I'd guess your age but if I guess wrong I'm afraid you'd dislike me."

She giggled, "Oh don't worry you're too cute for me to dislike you, in fact I thought saying you look 21 would insult you too."

"Well I'm glad you wouldn't dislike me, I couldn't dislike a pretty girl like you either" He smiled at her.

She couldn't help but think how gorgeous he was, they stared at each other in silence for a few seconds before Rick noticed it and broke the silence.

"You guys hungry."

"Starved actually, Joey?" Jennifer asked.

"Oh I love when girls call me that, and yea, I'm pretty hungry, what are we eating?"

Rick pulled into a McDonalds and got out of the car, "Come on Jennifer."

"I guess we're eating McDonalds"

Joseph and Jen got out of the car, as Jen made her way to the door, Rick stopped and patted his body.

"I left my wallet in the car," he said.

"Oh yea, me too, I totally forgot," Joseph said.

"Jennifer why don't you go on in, order what you like, Joseph and I will be right there." Rick said.

"Okay," She smiled at Joseph and went in.

The men both went to the car. 

"You know, Jennifer's beautiful, are you sure you're just friends-" Joseph chuckled but when he looked up, Rick grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and pushed him against the car.

"Listen to me kid, get your shit out of my car and get the fuck out of here. I don't know you, I don't know what you want, but I don't give a fuck. I don't care if you're a good guy, a nice guy, or a bad guy. I want you the fuck out of here, you understand."

"Yea-Yea man, of course!" 

"Good," Rick let go of him. "Leave before Jen notices, because if she does, trust me, it's gonna be a bad ride for you."

Joseph's eyes widened and he nodded in fear and took his things out of Rick's car and began running away.