Chapter 7

She didn't want to answer him, having to admit that she was wrong, and he was right so she just sat back quietly. But she could feel him smiling.

"I still want separate beds." she said.

"Like I said, we'll see."

"There's no we'll see, there's separate beds, or I'll take the floor. I don't mind either one, I've slept on the floor plenty of times."

"You will do no such thing." 

She smiled quietly and waited a moment before she said. "We'll see."

He looked at her, smiled, and then looked back at the road.

"Now, you can turn on the music." he said.

She smiled and turned on the radio, which began playing "Empire" by Shakira.

They continued the rest of the drive without talking, listening to music. Until they'd reached a gas station  around 6pm.

"Wait here, I'll go fill her up." Rick said and exited the car.

She watched him walk into the mini deli and pay for the gas, she stepped out of the car, closed the door, and leaned against the car door. He walked up to her eyeing her up and down, she was wearing blue loose shorts and a black tank top.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Just getting some air, it was getting kind of stuffy in there." 

He nodded, "Why don't you cover yourself up. Put on a sweater."

"No I don't think I will."

He gave her a do-what-I-said look.

She responded with a sorr-you-don't-control-me look. And walked away.

"Where are you going!" he called after her.

"Bathrooms!" she replied over her shoulder.

She could hear him groan. She made her way into the bathroom and peed.  When she finished she stood in front of the mirror and fixed herself. She brushed down her hair nicely with her hands and fixed her shirt. She couldn't help but notice how cute she looked.

She stepped out of the bathroom and began walking to the car, she noticed Rick wasn't at the car. He must've been inside buying something. 

Suddenly a man stepped in front of her and stopped her in her tracks.

"Hello beautiful." the guy said.

He had dirty blode hair and brown eyes.

"Uhm hi. Can I help you." she replied. Eager to get back to Rick.

"I hope so," he stepped forward and eyed her up and down.

"Well... what do you need."

"Let me see," he looked her up and down again and walked towards her. 

Jennifer backed away but he just kept advancing on her.

"Whw-what are you doing," she became very nervous.

"Don't worry babe, I just want a little of what you have."

Suddenly she hit a wall. She looked around but there was no way for her to escape. "Back off," she said.

"Relax babe, I'm not that rough." he grabbed her waist and began pushing her harder against the wall.

"Hey! Get off! Get off of me!" she began yelling.

"Shut up!" his hand came down and clamped on her mouth.

"Mmmmmm!" her voice came out mumbled.

He grabbed her hair, with one of his hands still on her mouth, and dragged her to the side of the bathroom.

He pushed her up against a wall again and slipped his hand down to her waist and began tugging on her jeans.

"Get off of me!" she hit on the face.

His hand flew to where she hit him, he looked at her in furious anger. His hand reached back, and he slapped her on the cheek- hard.

"Ow!" she cried and bent over when she got hit. 

She looked up and he was about to hit her again when suddenly he fell to the ground. She looked at Rick who had punched him. She straightened up and her eyes widened as he walked over to the boy on the ground. 

Rick bent over and grabbed the boy by the collar of his shirt and brough him back up to his feet and punched him back down again. 

"Rick!" Jennifer yelled.

He went over to the boy again and kicked him in the stomach.

"Rick stop!" she yelled again.

He kicked him once more in the stomach and she ran to him then, "Rick!" she grabbed his arm as he was about to punch the boy again. "Stop!" 

He looked at her furiously. And then back at the boy. She slowly let go of his arm and he wrapped it around her. "Come on," he hissed and they walked back to the car.

He opened the door for Jennifer and closed it when she sat down. He walked around over to his side, started the car, and sped off in anger.

After a few minutes passed Jennifer's heart had finally calmed down and she worked up the guts to talk to Rick. But didn't know what to say. She was so embrarrassed. That had been a serious close call.

"Are you okay." he finally said.

"Yea." she whispered. Her voice wavering.

When he didn't continue she went on.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked quietly.

He didn't answer right away, just stared at the road.

"I'm not angry with you." he finally said.

"Really?" she blinked back.

"Why are you surprised."

"Well, this just seems like this is something you would blame me for."

"It's not your fault." 

She relaxed.

"I am however, angry that you didn't let me finish that son of a bitch."

"You would've killed him, or close to it."

"Something like that, at least I would've paid him back for putting his hands on you."

"You would've gone to jail."

He didn't answer back. So Jennifer just dropped it.

"Well thank you." She said after a while and looked out the window.

Rick looked at her and smiled when she didn't see, then looked back at the road.

One thing she was right about, if she hadn't stopped him, Rick probably would've killed the boy for touching her.