Chapter 1

Why I'm here

Min Hak-guk's pov

I remember seeing images of myself flying through a jungle in my dreams. The jungle itself was so vast and dense but the scenery was spectacular. Feeling the cool crisp air through my scalp and the strange sound of squawking. The sight looked so real as if I was actually there. But then I opened my eyes and the scenes before me vanished.

I look around and sighed remembering where I am at. I'm currently in a cyro-capsule on my way to an unknown planet known as Pandora. I have to say besides the fact that being in this capsule is very irritating I'm quite privileged. It's not everyday you get a chance to leave your planet and head off to a new one. But at the same time I wouldn't call it privilege because I had to work hard to get to where I am.

Flashback to 5 year old hakguk

I wake up in the middle of the night panting and gasping for air. I don't remember what I was dreaming about but all I know is I'm terrified. I pull the covers off my body and hop out of bed careful not to make any noise that would awake my parents. They are very strict when it comes to bed time and I don't want to make them angry at me. I tip toe to my window and slowly open it just a bit.

I needed some fresh air but I also needed some comforting and looking up at the night sky helped a lot. I poked my head out the window and rested my elbows on my table as I placed my hands to my cheeks. I look up at the sky and try to make out which one of those glimmering balls in the sky was a plane and which one was a star. It's hard to tell when the sky is littered with planes going left and right. Suddenly there is a glimmering that shot through the sky.

I stare wide eyed at what I had just witnessed. I just saw a shooting star and I didn't even make a wish. Well if I could my only wish would be for me to get off this polluted planet and head to one where I could actually see flowers in person rather then from a book. Or where I could actually see wildlife up close instead of old videos from Nat Geo which were released around the 21st century.Living in the 22nd century wasn't that great.

Especially if all you see outside is metal and your occasional cockroach which is the only indicator that besides humans there is still some sort of life on this god forsaken planet!

Time skip to age 15

I got home from school with a stack of books in my hands. My appa looked up from his book and noticed my presence. "What are you doing with all those?" I look at the books then at him, my appa wasn't okay with me studying about plants because as he puts it "it's a waste of time to learn about something this world doesn't have anymore." Then he would pile books about steel into my hands and walk off.

"I was going to study for an upcoming exam." I have gotten good at lying to my appa which wasn't something to be proud of but it comes in handy. "I see...alright." He goes back to reading so I take this as my cue to leave. I walk up the steps making sure I didn't drop any of my books.

Once I made it up the stairs I walked to my room only to be stopped by my eomma. "Yes eomma?" She looks at me then she placed two things on my stack of books and walked away as if she didn't see me. She does that a lot...she isn't one to talk or show emotion. I thought it was my fault for some time but I quickly realize that the reason she doesn't show emotion is because she doesn't have any hope for her future.

She doesn't have a reason to smile if all she will do is stay home and be a good wife. I have always tried to make my eomma smile and I've gotten to see it a few times but it gets harder and harder each time. She is unhappy and I know that but I can't do much... at least not now. I walk into my room and set the books down on my table. I look over what my eomma put on my pile and notice it's a huge book about Pandora Botany. "Pandora?"