Chapter 37

[** Author's Note:
             Okay guys don't kill us but this chapter was actually supposed to be before the last one we published. This one is supposed to be 37 not 38.  So we'll publish this one and put it where it rightfully goes. Sorry if it's confusing**]

[LUCA'S POV]- (after finding about the affair)

I ran away. I had to get the hell out of there. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think, I was so consumed with rage and hurt that I just got in my car and took off. My hands shook as I drove with no destination in sight. I just knew I needed as much space between them and me. I eventually found myself on the highway heading in the direction of the airport. I basically said fuck it, took the exit, and decided to see what flights would be taking off soon. I didn't have any bags so security shouldn't take long anyway. I parked my car after paying a shit load to keep my car from being towed because I had no idea when I would return. I hadn't called my job or anything. What the hell would I say to them? "Oh sorry can't come in, I'm heart broken like a mother fucker because my now ex-fiancée is fucking my dad!" Yea that'll go over well. Probably should have burned the magazines at the office but what's done is done. I walked into the airport and got a few stares from some people. I'm sure I looked like I had been drug through hell and back, I did cry, scream, and punish my steering wheel half the way here. At this point I was just numb. I felt nothing. I just needed to get away.

I know I can't just leave without calling my boss though. Better to call him directly then to have to deal with my assistant and her observant ass which will lead to questions I don't want to answer. I didn't even grab my laptop to work away from home either, but work is the last thing I need to be doing. My head wouldn't be in the right place and my heart wouldn't be in my work so it's better to take a break from it all. I know I have to grow some balls and call in to inform them that it'd be better for me to take a sabbatical. I wasn't sure if the traditional length of time would be needed but I definitely need at least a week away. I pulled my phone out from my pocket and sat down getting ready to have my ass handed to me. I knew he wouldn't fire me because let's face it, I was one of the best, but he was not going to be happy. I located his name in my contacts and hit send, put the phone to my ear, and listened to it ring as I took a few deep breaths. 

"Mr. De Santi, how can I help you?" Edison's voice didn't sound like he was in a bad mood so that was a plus. 

I cleared my throat to sound a little less like the man who spent the better part of an hour crying and screaming at the air, his circumstances, and the unfairness of life. "Hey Edison" I croaked, well that was a failure, I sound terrible. "I needed a minute to talk to you and ultimately ask something of you." 

"Luca what's going on? You sound like shit." He was on the money there but he didn't have to be so blunt about it. Asshole.

"Actually, Edison. I'm not too good at all. I can't explain right now. I don't even know how I could possibly put it into words to be honest," I took a breath to level myself before I let myself go again. "I just need some time man. I know this isn't how this works but believe me I need at least a week. I am going to be no good to you or the company without this. Please." I hated to sound weak, this man knows me as a strong attorney that delivers hands down. Right now I am not that man. I'm not even a piece of that man. Damn Jaya and Nico for doing this to me!!

There was silence for a minute, I didn't even check to see if he was still on the phone, I was so lost in my thoughts, playing every unwanted image and thought imprinted on my brain. "Alright Luca. Take the time you need. Just take a laptop because in one week I will need to be able to be in contact with you about work even if you don't step foot in this building." I could even hear the sincerity in his voice about it. I was shocked.