Chapter 5

I stuck my hand out and shook his hand, "Jaya Raj....your charge nurse for tonight."

Good strong grip, I thought as I quickly returned to my chart as we started walking.

"Jaya that's an interesting name."

I mentally rolled my eyes a bit, ok Casanova.... "It's Indian. Not much room to be unique there Dr. Montanari."

"Jaya....let's not be rude to our doctor." Sherry interrupted her voice lowering a bit on the word. Dr. Montanari rubbed his nose showing some of his discomfort.

We all got in the elevator, since when has Sherry ever went to a surgery? I thought in annoyance as I hit the next floor button, our operating floor. It was eerily awkward as we waited for the doors to close. This guy must be quite interesting if he's even got Sherry all intrigued. I snuck a peek at him pretending to look at my files again, I mean don't get me wrong he's not bad looking. Actually he's quite cute....hello....Earth to Jaya, we're here to work not check out people.

"So....word around our floors is that you're quite the surgeon. Dr. Montanari." Sherry said as we began our ascent.

"98% save rate. Doctors Without Borders' top rated surgeon 5 years in a row. #1 rated surgeon in every hospital I've been assigned to. A glance at my resume would show that's one of the reasons you hired me Ms. Hunt."

Oh... I thought a bit disappointed, he's one of those doctors....but nice retort. I tried hiding a smirk as I continued to look at my chart.

I was hoping he would've been one of the cooler doctors instead of joining the jerk brigade of pompous ones. About 85% of Saint John's Physicians were Grade A dicks and a majority of them belonged to Surgeons. I don't know what it is about them, maybe it's the God like complex some of them take on feeling that their hands and skills save lives, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've looked at the surgery rounds and looked forward to assisting during a delivery. Well like I said when you're one of the top hospitals in the world, you attract the best of the best. Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford and all the top ones abroad all come gracing our hospital floors for the experience I suppose. And with all their pedigrees and long winded explanations and overinflated egos comes the drama they all thrive on and love to bring. That's why I was hesitant when I decided to try and be a doctor. I've seen a lot of good nurses go in with good intentions to Med School wanting to change the system and many just end up becoming another bitchy cog in the machine. Well the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I thought as we continued our slow rise. Damn...you would think with all this money we've thrown in to make the Hospital look good, we'd get faster elevators.

The elevator sounded with a ding announcing we arrived, Dr. Montanari and I stepped out. Sherry stayed in the elevator.

"Well I'll leave you two to your work. Dr. Montanari, let me know if there's any issues," she said critically eyeing me Don't think I can't see you bitch... I thought from behind him fixing my face to not show the annoyance. "You have my number." My eyebrows lowered a tad, funny....every time I've tried calling her, I always get a busy tone....

"I'll keep that in mind." was all he said as he turned and walked towards the floor.

I turned to Sherry and gave a smirk waving my hand, "Sherry I do think this is the first time I've seen you here this late," I replied in wonder, "you must have some new assignments or something."

Sherry scowled at me, "I'm doing my job Jaya and making sure the doctor is well adjusted in his transition to the hospital."

I pretended to think a second, "hmm...I guess you only do that for doctors then, because I never got that kind of attention when I first came to the Hospital."