Chapter 21

"you....." he prodded keeping his eyes on me. My eyes lowered to the ground as my foot pretended to kick a piece of imaginary dirt.

"I...have nothing to say. I know it's not right."

"Not right?" he asked incredulously never breaking eye contact, "Jaya it's fucking despicable is what it is." He grabbed my hand, "when did this happen?" he asked motioning towards my ring.

I pulled my hand away, "yesterday."

"was that before or after I ate your pussy?" he asked snarkily.

I looked away, fucking asshole I thought in annoyance. "I think you would've had some questions if it was before." I replied back just as snarky as he did. We just stayed silent each of us not moving. I knew I shouldn't be mad in this situation because most of it had happened under my watch, but who was this asshole to pass judgement on me.

"look..." I began taking a breath trying to calm my racing and increasingly annoyed thoughts, "tonight, let's just get through this dinner. Tomorrow, you can hate me or whatever for leading you on. He doesn't deserve any of this." I held out my hand as a peace offering.

He eyed my hand for a second and brought those beautiful eyes up to me now full of annoyance, "how considerate of you." was all he said as he walked out.

I put my hands on the sink and inhaled a short breath, "it's alright Jaya. He's mad, it's completely understandable. Just keep calm. You've been under worse situations at the hospital." I said trying to psyche myself up. This was gonna be a long night.

I calmly walked out and there was Nico waiting for me beside the door. As I stepped out he started walking towards the stairs, "let's not keep your fiancé waiting." he said passing by me as he continued walking. I watched his figure for a second taking another breath as I caught up with him. As soon as we came back into the entryway any awkward looks and shortness we had was gone as I came up and saw Luca relaxing on the couch.

"There you are. Thought I was gonna have to call 911 on you and report a missing persons." he joked as I sat down next to him. Nico chuckled as I softly laughed from beside Luca.

"not to worry, I wasn't gonna let anything happen to her." Nico said as I faked a smile hoping Luca didn't see.

Rosaline came forward, "dinner is ready." she announced with a somewhat heavy accent.

"I hope you two brought your appetites, I made a special dish for the both of you." Nico announced standing up.

"Dad, you didn't have to do that." Luca said.

"Yes Mr. Montanari," I agreed watching him, "that is too nice of you."

"well considering that today is such a special day for my son and his fiancé . It's the least I could do."

"look at this babe we're getting the royal treatment." Luca said turning to me giving me a side hug, "dad only cooks if he feels like it's for someone or something important."

I smiled willing my eyes to look somewhat excited about that, "wow we're so lucky."

We walked over to the table, a long and gorgeous all glass table. There was a seat on one side of the table and two on the other side. Great...now this asshole gets to watch me eat. I thought sourly as we made our way over. Luca pulled my chair out for me, "thank you." I said sweetly smiling at him as we sat down. Of course...I thought ironically as I saw Nico sit directly across from me.

Rosalie came up and removed the covers from our plates and my heart did a little nervous flip as I looked down at the plate.

"I figured, your fiancé would like to try some traditional Italian food. So I thought what could be more traditional than some sausage onions and peppers? I hope you don't have a problem eating meat Jaya?"